Breather hose to flame arrestor or carb?

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just curious... When I got the motor back from the builder he had one breather hose going to the flame arrestor and the other to the carb... I changed it so that both go to the carb. Was this a bad move? Should I switch it back? The motor is a mild build 400 sbc...

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Breather hose to flame arrestor or carb?

They both go to the flame arrestor.

Bondo

Staff member

Just curious... When I got the motor back from the builder he had one breather hose going to the flame arrestor and the other to the carb... I changed it so that both go to the carb. Was this a bad move? Should I switch it back? The motor is a mild build 400 sbc...

Ayuh,.... With what carb, 'n manifold,..??

Most Merc carbs don't have a place to go too,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

By 'breather' do you mean the crankcase vents? The ones that come from the rocker covers?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, where on the carb? Perhaps he installed a pcv system, (thats a good thing) in that case one hose would go to the base of the carb and one to the spark arrestor.

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, theres a brass nipple on the bottom base of the carb which is a quick fuel 850 and that is on a eddy air gap w/ 1" poly spacer. So theres a hose that goes from the valve cover to that brass nipple and the other hose goes valve cover to the flame arrestor. Hope that makes some more sense.

Bondo

Staff member

Well, theres a brass nipple on the bottom base of the carb which is a quick fuel 850 and that is on a eddy air gap w/ 1" poly spacer. So theres a hose that goes from the valve cover to that brass nipple and the other hose goes valve cover to the flame arrestor. Hope that makes some more sense.

Ayuh,.... Post some pictures, it sounds like you have a Non-original set up,...