gamble bearing or ujoint

davidsp

Cadet
Hi to all boater... i want to know how i can see if a gamble bearing or ujoint goes wrong.. my boat is a little vibration on 1500rpm and notice thevibration comes out of the place where is the ujoint and gamble bering.. how to know who is wrong and cost of 2 pieces ?

thumpar

Admiral
Re: gamble bearing or ujoint

What engine/drive do you have? If it is a Mercruiser it is easy to pull the drive and inspect the parts.

thumpar

Admiral

Pull the drive and check it out. It is easy to do. Look in the adults only thread for a manual if you need it.

agallant80

Commander

Thumpar is correct. You need to pull the outdrive and inspect. If water got in there then that could be causing your issues. Do you have the drive pulled regulairly and check for alignment? If the drive has never been pulled or not pulled in the last few years then the motor could have shifted and caused damage to the gimble. I would pull the drive, inspect for water intrusion and check the aliment which requires a special tool.

davidsp

Cadet

i just buy it and a boat folow me then says that my boat has a litlle zzzzzzz sound when runing... what it does when that 2 parts are done.. does it seize the whole engine?

thumpar

Admiral

Why try to find out? I could take my Alpha drive off and back on within a couple minutes. Even the Bravo takes less than 10 minutes (weight slows me down).

davidsp

Cadet

ok so i just unscrew the 6 bolt that are bolted to the boat fiber?

amcfall

Cadet

Yes, just make sure you have a new gasket. I have a bad back and had to do it by myself, so I built an outdrive stand out of spare lumber. Doesn't take long and well worth the time if you plan on doing work on it by yourself. Especially if you are going to take it off yearly as recommended. And as said above, it would be bad idea to get an alignment tool.

thumpar

Admiral

You will also need to take off one of the nuts for the trim ram pin and remove the pin. You probably have the speedo pitot in the drive so you will need to remove the tube.

sitkamick

Seaman

Don't forget to put the lower unit in full forward first, before you take the outdrive off for inspection.