Merc 4.3 timing Q

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
'96 engine, timing spec says 8 btdc. Owner says it's a thunderbird iv. No grounding necessary. Timing reads tdc. Changed it to 8, runs like Crap, no top end, backfires at low rpm. Somethingwrong here. Could owner be wrong about ignition id?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 4.3 timing Q

ThunderBolt IV no base timing wire, just point and shott with the timing light.Are you sure you hooked up to #1 plug wire?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Hooked up to wire labeled #1 on distributor cap. Arrow pointing away, towards plug.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking maybe it's a T5? I'll try looking up the engine serial number.
Know of an ID photo somewhere on the web?
Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member

I'm thinking maybe it's a T5? I'll try looking up the engine serial number.
Know of an ID photo somewhere on the web?
Thanks
Just Google search TB 4 then search TB 5, get to know what the ignition modules looks like and see what one you have.

Or post the engine serial number and we can tell you. 1996 most likely a TB 5 and needs grounding.

Good luck.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Just Google search TB 4 then search TB 5, get to know what the ignition modules looks like and see what one you have.

Or post the engine serial number and we can tell you. 1996 most likely a TB 5 and needs grounding.

Good luck.

Not my boat, trying to help out a friend. I didn't take a photo of the distributor, but did grab the engine serial number: 0F761165

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Fun Times

Staff member

Engine #0F761165
Ok, this is very strange, your serial number comes up as a TB 5, but looking at your ignition module it shows it as a TB 4 both by looking at it and looking up the part number.:facepalm:

Engine comes up as an MERCRUISER TB5, W/PS, TWOPCEX, WORO 4.3LX ALPHA

MERCRUISER - (4.3LX H.P. (1996)
Serial No: 0F761165 Model No: 443L100JS

Here's the complete parts catalog for this serial number
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=801874+96

Ignition module item number 35,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...desc=WIRING+HARNESS+AND+ELECTRICAL+COMPONENTS

Your going to have to do my first suggestion to see what you really have or post a photo of the Ignition module.

Usually the TB 4 will say it on the front of the module while the TB 5 has a cigarette sized pack look to it that can be found on the 6'th photo down in the next link.

805361T1 | eBay

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that info. Ok, I'll have to get a pic of that module. Odd that both are listed for this engine... Maybe a crossover year, from 4 to 5?

Thanks again for your help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

assuming the dist was clocked correctly ,you can do it that way. If not, go to the #1 cylinder wire at the plug.#1 is port side ,very first one.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

If the Dist wires were mismatched, I would think the engine would not run smoothly. that's the thing, just wanted to check the timing, the engine is not running badly, just not optimal. But something is not right. Tdc is not correct, so I need to find where the error is... I'm leaning toward mis identification of the ig mod

Bondo

Staff member

If the Dist wires were mismatched, I would think the engine would not run smoothly. that's the thing, just wanted to check the timing, the engine is not running badly, just not optimal. But something is not right. Tdc is not correct, so I need to find where the error is... I'm leaning toward mis identification of the ig mod

Ayuh,... Like BD said, if the distributor is clocked off a hole or two, yer on a wrong cylinder,...

#1 can be any of the 8 towers on the cap,...

Clamp to #1 wire at the plug end,...

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Unlikely that both Dist and Plugs are miswired together, but anything's possible! I'll check it out!

Bondo

Staff member

Unlikely that both Dist and Plugs are miswired together, but anything's possible! I'll check it out!

Ayuh,.... You don't seem to understand that #1 can be Any of the towers on the cap,....

That doesn't make anything mis-wired, just clocked off by a tower or 3,...

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... You don't seem to understand that #1 can be Any of the towers on the cap,....

That doesn't make anything mis-wired, just clocked off by a tower or 3,...

Gotcha, will check that first.