Switch from Stainless Steel lines to rubber A1 fuel lines

Goldsmithnb

Cadet
First, I understand the imporance of USCG rated hose in a boat. My question is this: I replaced mechanical pump with carter electric pump on my 1997 carbed 5.7 Mercruiser. I had to rig the pump to a new location due to the only fuel lines I had being stainless steel and bent in the proper way for the old mech pump, and i dont like the mounting location.

In order to put the new pump on the block where I want it, can I use flexible rubber A1 hose with brass connectors in between the carb-pump-fuel filter?

If so, do i just get the brass fittings and use a hose clamp to secure them to the hose?

agallant80

Commander
Re: Switch from Stainless Steel lines to rubber A1 fuel lines

That is how my boat is set up from the factory. USCG approved A1 fuel hose from the tank to the pump.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you mount the elec pump on a bracket that bolts to where the mech pump went,.Then get some steel brake line and bend a new one, double flare it and your done.
pressure in rubber lines is never a good idea.If it was acceptable the factory would be doing it too.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

First, I understand the imporance of USCG rated hose in a boat. My question is this: I replaced mechanical pump with carter electric pump on my 1997 carbed 5.7 Mercruiser. I had to rig the pump to a new location due to the only fuel lines I had being stainless steel and bent in the proper way for the old mech pump, and i dont like the mounting location.

In order to put the new pump on the block where I want it, can I use flexible rubber A1 hose with brass connectors in between the carb-pump-fuel filter?

If so, do i just get the brass fittings and use a hose clamp to secure them to the hose?

You do not have to have steel lines to comply with USCG requirements. USCG type A1 fuel line is acceptable in all areas. To comply with the law, all connections and hose must be installed so the fittings and hose can be inspected. Using correct hose, stainless clamps and brass fittings are used without issue.

Fuel Systems - Manufacturer Requirements

NHGuy

Captain

No, you don't actually have to use steel. As stated A1 is allowed, but steel is best. It's tough, rigid and simple. It lasts decades.
The flexible stuff will likely contact the motor at some spot unless you construct some type of standoff.
Steel is kind of a pain to bend but it's so good that I'd do it.
I recently made a line myself because the end on my old was so rounded off that I had to change it. Not fun, but it copies original equipment.

thumpar

Admiral

Mine came from the factory with a mixture of both. The output and return lines are steel then transition to rubber and then back to steal. I am guessing it is done for vibration reasons.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Like the others have stated, you can legally use the type A1 hose... but if you WANT to use steel, it is easy to do. Simply buy a length of straight metal fuel line from the auto parts store and bend it to fit. No cutting and flaring involved. Use a tubing bender tool to avoid kinks. (Most auto parts stores will have a loaner tool program with a tubing bender if you do not have one).

haulnazz15

Captain

I used SS-braided rubber fuel line with -AN fittings when I put in the new engine. The 4bbl carb I installed, along with a different intake manifold made the old hardline unusable. Nothing wrong with rubber line by itself, but I liked the added safety of SS-braided stuff just for abrasion purposes.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used all braided line on my Jet boat. I did get inspected by the so called USCG approved clowns. I was told SS braided line is not USCG approved and should not be used. I then told them so the means the NHRA should use your corny A1 rubber hose cause I know the A1 rubber hose will hold up better in a "top fuel" funny car fire as compared to my SS braided hose and real AN fittings. They just signed my form as a pass and walked away.
zoar_laborday09_03.jpg

Goldsmithnb

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of braided lines. We are only talking about 3-4 feet of fuel line here in total.

Does anyone have an opinion about adding a fuel cutoff valve in between the tank and fuel filter?

NHGuy

Captain

I think it's an unnecessary complication. The anti siphon valve will stop fuel if it leaks between the tank and the pump. And if it leaks in between there the fuel will get air pulled into it while running causing a lean condition.
Don't do it unless you have a problem that it addresses.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Before you go adding steel braided lines - just be aware that they are not Coast Guard approved. Do what you want of course... but simply saying that you think they are better will probably not sway an inspector. Just sayin....

haulnazz15

Captain

Before you go adding steel braided lines - just be aware that they are not Coast Guard approved. Do what you want of course... but simply saying that you think they are better will probably not sway an inspector. Just sayin....

I wouldn't go so far as to say they automatically aren't approved. If the rubber line inside meets the USCG spec, they would be just fine.

alldodge

Staff member

The law states (paraphrase) the line shall be visable to inspection. If the line is painted or covered in SS braid the line cannot be inspected for deteriation. If you use auto non-stainless lines they cannot be painted. You cannot use SS braided lines because no one can see the inner rubber line. Use A1 rubber lines or metal lines only.

No need to read this
As a former USCG sailor way back when, we use to cover hand rails with line very nicely braided and then painted with spar varnish. The look was all naval and we all took pride in covering the hand rails. Before I got out we were told to cut all the lines off the hand rails because the rails were rusting underneith and could not be seen. There are a few incadents were folks were hurt from part or the hand rail giving way. The same thing brought about the fuel line regulation.