Need timing procedure for Mercruiser 454

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need timing procedure for Mercruiser 454, dropping a whole new power plant in a 1989 Formula 292. dropping in the distributor and its been a while since i have done this. have all the tools i need. any help greatly appreciated.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Need timing procedure for Mercruiser 454

Set #1 piston to Top Dead Center. Verify that it is on the compression stroke by examining the valve springs as you rotate the engine. The intake will open, then close, then you are coming up on the compression stroke. Align the mark on your harmonic balancer to the TDC 0 mark on the timing cover plate. Orient your distributor in approximately the same way it came out and align the rotor button just before the #1 spark plug tower. Then move it back 1/2 way to 2/3 of the way behind it (assuming your dist rotates CW.) Drop in the distributor keeping an eye on the rotor button. Did it pass #1? Then you are one tooth off. That's all there is to it. :)

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need timing procedure for Mercruiser 454

Thanks I have done the job before, just needed a quick refresher. Mostly been working on Yamaha outboards as of late.

thumpar

Admiral
my mech says my timing belt is off which is causing me to have power issues. what is the cost to repair this
This is an old thread with nothing to do with your issue. Open up a new thread for your problem. You may also be in the wrong section since I don't know of a Mercruiser with timing belt only chain.

Walt T

Lieutenant
If you really want to get OCD find the center of the crank arc at the time the piston stays at TDC. Then my son, You will have true TDC. Relevant? No. Fun to do and fun to buy expensive degree wheels and dial indicators so you can look like you know what you're doing? O yea