water pump kit?

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone! Im posting today because I have a question about water pump kits. Heres my situation...im looking online to find the correct kit for my outdrive, which is I believe either an mr or an alpha,an early one,possibly 1978-1980. I found the proper kit to match my year which is glm #12280,which covers 1973-1990. The kit I would like to get is glm #12120, and reason being is due to the fact that it is a complete kit which,which comes with both the upper and lower pump housing sections. The kit that I know is for my outdrive, #12280,only comes with the upper section for some reason. Well....I want the complete housing! The lower section has a shaft seal in it, so while im in there, heck yea I want to replace it!! If it leaks,theres a bearing directly beneath it that's going to take on water. So, my question is, are there major differences between the pump housings? Can I just buy the complete kit ,even though it doesn't match up with my particular year? Thanks for reading!

Re: water pump kit?

The difference between the kits is the Water pump base. Every other part is the same...

You will want to ensure what lower you have.... it will either have a preload pin on top or not. That will determine your kit. Don't get the wrong one, damage will result. If you look at the Anti-cavation plate on each you'll notice the "Preload Pin/ MC-1" drive has rounded corners, the "R, MR, Alpha 1" is squared-off

see attached picture:preload_pin and not.jpg

Personally I like to use OEM Quicksilver parts here...
See the other pic of OEM kits:

Attachments

• MERCRUISER WATER PUMP REPAIR KITS - DRIVE.pdf
    202.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi eric, and thanks for replying! If you are talking about the pin on top of the shaft, then yes, mine has that. The right side lower unit in your picture looks like an mc-1, is that correct?

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the lower unit that im replacing the pump in has the preload pin, but the vent plate is squared off , not rounded like the one on the right.

Check out GLM 12110, it should be the complete kit you need.

****or****

Quicksilver# is 46-96148A 8 Upper Housing Kit
and also # 46- 57234T1 Lower Base Kit
(both Quicksilver P# to be ordered to complete the kit)

**** or****
Sierra kit #18-3317 (sold here at Iboats)

Last edited:

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks eric. You have been a great help! I would like to explain my entire situation to you if you don't mind? You may have some more important pointers for me!

There are many on here more knowledgeable than I am. Your best to ask questions here in the forum. If it's impeller related do it in this thread if another topic, start a new one.