VALVE COVERS FOR MERCRUISER 260 MR. (350 Chevy)

sitkamick

Seaman
i am looking for a couple of valve covers, (no chrome). They must have the oil fill caps and the vent ports for the crankcase vents. I also don't have the engine serial number because it was replaced a couple of years ago before I bought it so it is probably a much newer block than the 1985 that came when the boat was new. It has the four mounting bolts, (2 on each side of the cover). I would also need the caps and gaskets as well.
Does anyone know a place where I might purchase these?

Regards

Mick

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: VALVE COVERS FOR MERCRUISER 260 MR. (350 Chevy)

those are the older valve covers late 70`s perimeter bolts vs center bolts

Bondo

Staff member

i am looking for a couple of valve covers, (no chrome). They must have the oil fill caps and the vent ports for the crankcase vents. I also don't have the engine serial number because it was replaced a couple of years ago before I bought it so it is probably a much newer block than the 1985 that came when the boat was new. It has the four mounting bolts, (2 on each side of the cover). I would also need the caps and gaskets as well.
Does anyone know a place where I might purchase these?

Regards

Mick

Ayuh,... Those SBC valve covers were used from sometime in the 50s or 60s, til 'bout '85,....

Nothin' special,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you can probably get them at a salvage yard for about $5 a pair. just open up almost any pre 1986 GM truck hood

New stamped steel ones from summitracing.com start at $35 a pair. Aluminum a bit more.

Last edited:

sitkamick

Seaman

I wonder if the auto/truck yards would have the vent ports as well as the filler caps?
Don't have any junk yards here in Sitka. Any good websites known that I might look at?

sitkamick

Seaman

I'm sorry, just saw the website you mentioned.
Thanks so much!!

Volphin

Lieutenant

Try car-part.com

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if the auto/truck yards would have the vent ports as well as the filler caps?
Don't have any junk yards here in Sitka. Any good websites known that I might look at?

I like ebay because you get a wide variety of options and there are pictures so you see what you are buying before you get it.

You can actually search for mercruiser valve covers on there and get the ones exactly like what you have now.