Mercruiser 120 loose steering

dozerII

Admiral
Hello, I have a 1976 Mercruiser 120, motor ser # 4479938, drive serial # 4525102, I can't fin a number on the transom assembly but I'm pretty sure it is the one with the Square / Splined swivel pin. There is a huge amount of play in the steering and it is all in the transom assembly. Can I use the newer style Gimbal ring with the Square / Square pin in the original transom assembly?
Any help would be appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 120 loose steering

It appears that the complete housing is different... It may work, I'm just not 100%...

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Some of those old units had a spot designed to be drilled out and a bolt added to clamp the gimbal ring to the square to retighten steering.

I need to find an old set of books.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks for the looking into it for me Guys, I'll wait for your info.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Which books you need?

Since I'm now retired I shouldn't really NEED anything except bait.

And memory isn't what it used to be, so I don't remember if it was in a service manual or bulletin showing how to drill and bolt the top of the gimble ring to tighten the fit on the steering pin. The gimble already has a slot across the top and it actually was quite easy to drill thru, install a bolt/nut and clamp it, snugging the steering pin perfectly. I always thought another 20 years he'd just drill the other side and do it again.

achris

Thanks for the looking into it for me Guys, I'll wait for your info.

A lot depends on where your slop is. If it's between the swivel shaft and the gimbal ring, then putting in bolts and tightening them up should solve the problem, but if the slop is between the swivel shaft and the steering lever, whole different ball of wax...

Chris......

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks Guys, I'm going to have to pull it all apart to see exactly where the slop is, I know it is somewhere between the steering lever and the gimbal ring. I was just trying to get a jump on ordering parts for when it comes apart later this month.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Guys, I'm going to have to pull it all apart to see exactly where the slop is, I know it is somewhere between the steering lever and the gimbal ring. I was just trying to get a jump on ordering parts for when it comes apart later this month.

Ayuh,.... Find yerself a used freshwater Alpha 1, 'bout '84, '85 vintage complete transom assembly,....
'n see if they'll throw in the flywheel cover,...

dozerII

Admiral

Ayuh,.... Find yerself a used freshwater Alpha 1, 'bout '84, '85 vintage complete transom assembly,....
'n see if they'll throw in the flywheel cover,...
Thanks Bondo, been searching hard for a complete doner boat up hear in the prairies, but they are few and far between.

achris

Thanks Bondo, been searching hard for a complete doner boat up hear in the prairies, but they are few and far between.

Interstate trip coming up? ;)

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A lot depends on where your slop is. If it's between the swivel shaft and the gimbal ring, then putting in bolts and tightening them up should solve the problem, but if the slop is between the swivel shaft and the steering lever, whole different ball of wax...

Chris......

What do you mean by putting in bolts, is there a picture to illustrate that?

achris

What do you mean by putting in bolts, is there a picture to illustrate that?

Some of the early Alpha One gimbal rings had the split across the top, but the bolt holes were not there. People noticed if they drill the holes and put bolts in (like the later rings) they could tighten them up and remove the 'slop' from the swivel shaft/gimbal ring interface...

Chris.........

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh okay, so that doesn't work if you already have the bolts then?

dozerII

Admiral

Okay, I got a used transom assembly with tight steering, but a few other issues. I can use the gimble ring to take care of the slop in my steering. When I took this unit apart it wasn't without ruining the pinch bolts for the swivel shaft, Mer part # 88432 what is with the price of these fellows $55.80 each!!!! :faint2: There has to be another way?

Bondo

Staff member

Okay, I got a used transom assembly with tight steering, but a few other issues. I can use the gimble ring to take care of the slop in my steering. When I took this unit apart it wasn't without ruining the pinch bolts for the swivel shaft, Mer part # 88432 what is with the price of these fellows $55.80 each!!!! :faint2: There has to be another way?

Ayuh,.... I ain't looked at 1 in awhile, got a picture of it,...

I don't remember it bein' overly "Special",....

Bondo

Staff member

Genuine Mercury Mariner Mercruiser Screw 10 88432 NEW | eBay
Here's a listing with picture off Ebay, They are a 3/8 X 4" stainless steel bolt as far as I can tell. The old ones have a half a turn of twist in them from removing them.

Ayuh,.... Are they fine threaded, or just 3/8-16,..??

They might be a different SSteel alloy, as the SS bolts I find in Bolt Stores are Awfully soft,...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That bolt reminds me of a $10 OMC 7/8" stainless steel circlip. :mad:

dozerII

Admiral

Ayuh,.... Are they fine threaded, or just 3/8-16,..??

They might be a different SSteel alloy, as the SS bolts I find in Bolt Stores are Awfully soft,...

They are fine thread.