Mechanical Clunking noise when running starter engine

roos

Cadet
Re: Mechanical Clunking noise when running starter engine

My omly question is,how did the spring parts get out of the housing? Is the plate missing on the bell? Or did the jusy come out through the drive yolk area?
Grub

The spring dislodged, probably because the engine stopped. Then it fell down to where the starter-engine sits and got chopped up into 5 pieces (or at least, I've found 5 pieces). Most of them were lying by the starter engine in the bell housing. 2 of them I found in the bilge, might have dropped down there when I removed the starter engine.

Don't know what "drive yolk area" is? =)

I got around to some more testing and found that if I crank the engine for about 3 seconds, I might get one pulse to the injection. That's probably what I have been seeing as injectors occasionally dripping a drop of fuel down the carb.
I have tested with a LED light and that just did one very quick flash during quite a bit of cranking.

So seems like electrical problem. My best guess is some sensor not telling the ECM that the engine is running. Maybe the ignition module. Or god forbid the ECM itself.

Thanks!

Mike

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Mechanical Clunking noise when running starter engine

If a person has Yolks in their drive area then I think they need to find another heat source to make their Omelettes over... :)