Crankcase ventilation question..........

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice
I am switching back from electric fuel pumps to mechanical, and am wondering if the fail line from the mechanical pump should go on the carb where they currently have the crankcase tube going?? I am assuming the crankcase should go to the flame arrestor on the carb instead? My flame arrestors currently do not have the little hose port, but I have some coming that do with the mechanical pumps.

Thanks, MK

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Crankcase ventilation question..........

Yeah, the crankcase vent should got to a small fixture and terminate on the side of the flame arrester. The 'fail line' from the pump should go to the fitting on the side of the carb that the vent tube is currently on.... Have I talked to you about a Water reversal kit? (for the exhaust manifolds)

Chris.....

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Crankcase ventilation question..........

Thanks Chris, yes you mentioned the reversal kit, it's on my list. My first thought on that is how did these engines make it 43 years without the reversal?? Just curious what condition causes the crack, and how this boat avoided it.

On the crankcase breather issue, that would explain why the carbs were a little hard to adjust down, I am assuming the port on the carb pulls air in when hooked up this way, but it shouldn't, the fail line would not let air through until there is a failure of the diaphragm on the pump.

Thanks, Mark