Shifter hard to go into forward

Well, I've had the mutt in the water several times. The outdrive goes into reverse at a nice low RPM. However, forward is another issue. Been trying to adjust it several times then, I read something wrong and decided to cut the shift cable. That was wrong and I had to replace it. That's done. As near as I can tell, I set it all up by the book. If I manually push the cable, the boat goes in and out of forward just as it should. That is with the shift cable loose in my hand being pushed and pulled, without the throttle remote. Doing this with the engine running and operating the cable standing over the running engine. I had a good look at all the parts that are visible. When the shifter is placed in fwd, and the stern drive removed, the lever and shaft assembly that is in the lower unit is not facing for and aft. I had to push it with a screw driver to get it to line up both to remove the lower unit and again to reinstall it.
Question? Is it possible that this lever assembly or the shift shafts are twisted. With the shifter in FWD, shouldn't the lower unit slide back on the studs without having to force the shift shafts into a position where the upper and lower portions slide apart?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Shifter hard to go into forward

I had a good look at all the parts that are visible. When the shifter is placed in fwd, and the stern drive removed, the lever and shaft assembly that is in the lower unit is not facing for and aft. I had to push it with a screw driver to get it to line up both to remove the lower unit and again to reinstall it.
Question? Is it possible that this lever assembly or the shift shafts are twisted. With the shifter in FWD, shouldn't the lower unit slide back on the studs without having to force the shift shafts into a position where the upper and lower portions slide apart?

Answer: Yes it is very possible (even likely) that is your problem. Yes it should.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Well, I've had the mutt in the water several times. The outdrive goes into reverse at a nice low RPM. However, forward is another issue. Been trying to adjust it several times then, I read something wrong and decided to cut the shift cable. That was wrong and I had to replace it. That's done. As near as I can tell, I set it all up by the book. If I manually push the cable, the boat goes in and out of forward just as it should. That is with the shift cable loose in my hand being pushed and pulled, without the throttle remote. Doing this with the engine running and operating the cable standing over the running engine. I had a good look at all the parts that are visible. When the shifter is placed in fwd, and the stern drive removed, the lever and shaft assembly that is in the lower unit is not facing for and aft. I had to push it with a screw driver to get it to line up both to remove the lower unit and again to reinstall it.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... To Echo Terry once again, :rolleyes: ;) 'ell ya, that's not Right at All,...

It's either Bent, or possibly the bushin's are shot,......

Head on up to Don'S Adults Only section at the top of the forum,...

You'll find manuals, 'n All kindsa Great Info in there,...

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

:rolleyes:I am trying to understand what sequence you did things. if you mistakenly cut the shift cable, before removing drive, the shift shafts could have been in any position. putting the remote into forward, as is standard practice before removing the drive would not align the shift shafts if the lower shift cable was cut. forcing the drive off at this point could have bent shafts/levers.

to check: take the drive off, then turn the lower shift shaft with the little brass shoe on top straight ahead. then turn the prop counterclockwise and it should just stop turning, or lock. put a bungee cord on the prop, keeping it pulled counter clockwise. if the prop is locked this way and the shoe on the shaft is not straight, then the shaft is bent.

for the intermediate shaft, push the new shift cable end all the way in, and then the lower end of the shaft, that aligns with the drive shoe, should be straight ahead. if not it is probably twisted.

lastly, with both shafts lined up, putting the drive on, you have to get the little wheel on the shift shaft into the slots on the end of the shift cable just right. if you had not bungeed the prop cc before, you could have bumped the lower unit out of forward (turning the lower shoe), before they engaged. bottom line, you can visually inspect that the shafts are both forward after you start the drive on, by looking from underneath. pushing the shafts into alignment will allow the drive to go on, but something is not correct, if you did all the proper preparation as outlined above.
if you knew all this: my bad, its just hard to tell from a distance what somebody knows and doesn't know :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help. My first boat had an OMC so as far as this Mercruiser is concerned, I'm like an empty cup, with only a few drops knowledge. 20130927_152137_resized.jpg20130927_152314_resized.jpg. I'll remove the drive and check for twisting. These pics are with the drive installed. They were taken with the remote pushed all the way fwd, then all the way rev. The prop was locked in drive. I read the Interrupt posting by Don S. That helped fill in the How does it work column. What is the ideal idle RPM as far as shifting is concerned. My engine is smooth at 1K, but a little shakey under that. As with most engines and trans, I assume the lower the better. But, what RPM is too high. Perhaps 1K is too high.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

From this view, in FWD, your shift shaft is not rotated enough...should point dead-on straight forward.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

SunB, agree with Kt, shoe not straight, and from this angle looks like it is bent over a bit. could be an illusion of photo, bent shaft or bad bushing. if your prop is locked counter clockwise "in drive" the shoes are not correct.

post your engine serial number and drive serial number and someone will provide a link for the OEM manuals. they are linked in the Mercruiser info. section in the Adults Only section above, but I could not get it to work today.

as far as shift/idle RPM, you will find it in the engine section in the OEM manual, but 1000 is too high. Idle is set in the water, in forward gear closer to 750. Higher RPM just beats up the clutch dogs....and puts excessive wear on them. best to start a separate thread if you still have a problem after you go over the manual.

your signature says retired mechanic: I would like to suggest you've only retired from getting a paycheck. your boat is your new boss:D

Removed the outdrive and had a good lookIMG_0082.jpgIMG_0085.jpg
Placed Shifter fwd. Put bungee on prop as suggested. To me it appears slightly twisted but not bent. I should have taken a shot so you could see the parts just as they are mated together. The part in the upper is straight fore and aft, and the lower part is twisted to the port side of the boat. It is only slight, but would not mate together without the assistance of a screwdriver pushing to the right. I have two MC1 drives and both are complete. Are they compatible? If so, I can harvest the part from one of them.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Both mc1? Yes parts should be same. There are some service bulletins in stickies and some things have been upgraded. Shift cable, bushings etc. List in adult only section

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah, looks like you found the problem. If the bottom of the upper shift shaft points directly fore and aft, that is OK. So try this: Split the outdrive (you will have to anyway) and pull the pin on the intermediate shift shaft #22 here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...0065.png&inbr=2203&bnbr=60&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING and remove it from the upper. Turn the lower shift shaft all the way clockwise and stick the I SS on it, note how it points, then try one of the spares. It is correct if the shaft points straight ahead when turned all the way clockwise.

I spent some time today playing with the shift cable and with the Remote cable. I made these observations. In FWD, with the remote cable disconnected, the cable had 1/4 inch of free movement before the remote control handle reacted to the movement. In Neutral, the movement was 3/8 of an inch. In REV, the movement was also 3/8 of an inch. Is this significant? Is it possible that some part of the remote lever is worn out. As stated before, with the shift cable removed from the shift plate, and the engine running, I can push and pull the cable and easily shift from into and out of Fwd through Neutral and into REV without any issues. The RPM is still a bit high so it hits harder then it should, but does it easily. The slop in the shift lever makes me think that I'm loosing cable travel because of the slop.

I harvested one of the lower shift shafts and operated it manually. I can clearly see the fore and aft alignment on this part, where the part of the boat is not aligned. I plan to install a new bushing before I install the replacement shaft.

I'm back to this original thread. I got my special tool to remove the lower shift shaft and before the UPS guy could get away, I removed the spare part. I used my impact driver and it came right off. I got out my expensive straight edge and aligned it to the harvested part. the shaft was bent. I then I attempted to removed my original part. I had to use slight prying pressure to get it to release. When applied to the straight edge, it is bent as well. I ordered a new shaft. No since putting a bent part in, even if it works.

I got the new shaft and it is now installed. I reassembled the outdrive reinstalled it. Bottom line. It now shifts into drive without issue. However the shift into reverse does not happen until after the shift lever passes the detent on the shifter. The rpm stays at idle until after the drive has engaged. It may not be an issue, however I'm putting this out just in case there is problem with the shifter that I'm missing.