7.4 liter head bolt

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am preparing to run my used replacement 7.4 liter engine on the ground before installing it in my project boat. See thread in signature. Today I noticed the head of one of the lower center head bolts is corroded to the point that I may need to used a smaller size socket to hopefully remove it. Being anal when it comes to my engines I was thinking of replacing it. So my question is can I remove and replace 1 head bolt with out removing the whole head and replacing the head gasket? Or do I just leave it be and deal with it if I ever need a rebuild? All the rest are in excellent condition. As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Have a great evening

Mike

500dollar744ti

Re: 7.4 liter head bolt

That's an iffy proposition, honestly if it were me, I'd leave it alone. Not because you can't pull one and replace it, I think that would work. It's just with my luck I'm afraid the bolt will break when I try to remove it. I always think worst case scenario so I won't be cursing myself later wishing I'd have left it alone.

Fun Times

Staff member

So my question is can I remove and replace 1 head bolt with out removing the whole head and replacing the head gasket?
Sure thing you can remove one bolt and install a new one in place without disrupting the head gasket.

Just hope the bolt don't break.:faint2:

mr300z87

Thanks for the replys. I am concerned more about stripping the bolt head while trying to remove it. Think I am going to leave it for now.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Single bolt replacement is no problem, unless it rounds or breaks... My preference would be to leave it. If it causes problems come the day you need to pull that head, just centre-punch it and drill the head off. Once the cylinder head is out of the way, removing the remaining stud shouldn't be too hard.

Chris......