MerCruiser Alpha one gen 2 outdrive

waldo271

Seaman Apprentice
Hello guys,
I have an issue that I need your help with please.
I have a 21' 1996 Welcraft with a MerCruiser 5.7 EFI and Alpha one gen 2 drive. I took it out yesterday with the guys and everything was going well for the first hour until a boat jumped infront of me so I had to reverse. I was barely doing Idle then I shifted in reverse.
Everything was fine until I shifted back in drive, it changed normally and I ran on Idle for a min then I kicked it a bit. That's when the boat felt like it lost power. The engine was running fine, but it felt like I just suddenly lost the Prop.

I knew something happened to the outdrive so I parked it right a way. I tried it after a few mins and again, it shifts ok and drives on Idle fine but when I give it more gas, it loses power again even though the engine revs fine.
After a couple of tries, it shifts but doesn't move at all. Al least It feels like it shifts

I brought it back home and thought maybe I have a spun pro so I shifted the gear in drive ( while its off) and turned the prop clock wise. it turnes but it makes a clicking noise and feels like 2 metals rubbing together. Oh, and it doesn't turn counter clock wise.

If the prop is fine, should it move at all when in gear? when I shift in reverse, the prop turns in both directions.

any ideas??

Thank you,

Waldo

Bondo

Staff member
Re: MerCruiser Alpha one gen 2 outdrive

Hello guys,
I have an issue that I need your help with please.
I have a 21' 1996 Welcraft with a MerCruiser 5.7 EFI and Alpha one gen 2 drive. I took it out yesterday with the guys and everything was going well for the first hour until a boat jumped infront of me so I had to reverse. I was barely doing Idle then I shifted in reverse.
Everything was fine until I shifted back in drive, it changed normally and I ran on Idle for a min then I kicked it a bit. That's when the boat felt like it lost power. The engine was running fine, but it felt like I just suddenly lost the Prop.

I knew something happened to the outdrive so I parked it right a way. I tried it after a few mins and again, it shifts ok and drives on Idle fine but when I give it more gas, it loses power again even though the engine revs fine.
After a couple of tries, it shifts but doesn't move at all. Al least It feels like it shifts

I brought it back home and thought maybe I have a spun pro so I shifted the gear in drive ( while its off) and turned the prop clock wise. it turnes but it makes a clicking noise and feels like 2 metals rubbing together. Oh, and it doesn't turn counter clock wise.

If the prop is fine, should it move at all when in gear? when I shift in reverse, the prop turns in both directions.

any ideas??

Thank you,

Waldo

Ayuh,..... That's what it does, "In gear",....

That's still in neutral,...

Reverse should act just like forward, only backwards,...

Change yer prop, 'n Try it,....

You can't manually slip a bad hub by hand,... yer lackin' a couple hundred Horsepower,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Either a bad coupler, or a spun prop hub... And I'll with Bondo, unless you're and arm wrestling champion, you ain't going to spin a bad hub by hand.... Getting the prop checked out would be the first option. If the prop's fine. take the boat for a run again, but watch the drive shaft in the back of the engine while someone throttles up for you.... You might see it slow down. If it does... sorry, engine out.

Chris.....

waldo271

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you guys,
I'll take the Prop out tonight and if it is fine, then i'll test the coupler next.

waldo271

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_2529.jpg

So, seems like the prop is gone. I talked to a local shop here and he said he can change the rubber and it will be good again.
Is that a good Idea or should I just buy a new one?

Thanks

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good deal it was the prop and not the coupler.

I would let the shop do their thing and fix it and launch away.

Mark

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Take it to a shop? Save yourself the cost of the new hub. Do it yourself. Just take the prop off and replace the hub.

Bondo

Staff member

View attachment 212967

So, seems like the prop is gone. I talked to a local shop here and he said he can change the rubber and it will be good again.
Is that a good Idea or should I just buy a new one?

Thanks

Ayuh,.... That's a plastic hub,... Beat it out, 'n replace it yerself,....