1988 mercruiser 5.7 liter

guarino67

Cadet
My trim will not go up or down but makess a clickin noise, I have made sure connections are clean and replaced both soleoids. Still only clicks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 mercruiser 5.7 liter

My trim will not go up or down but makess a clickin noise, I have made sure connections are clean and replaced both soleoids. Still only clicks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like you've narrowed it down to a Bad motor,...

Test wire it directly to 12V,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

use a jumper from the battery, touch the blue motor wire , unit goes up. Touch the green motor wire ,unit goes down.

guarino67

Cadet

Tried the direct wire and got nothing, but a few sparks and very weak, sporatic hum. No outdrive movement. Assuming this means it is the motor.

Fun Times

Staff member

Tried the direct wire and got nothing, but a few sparks and very weak, sporatic hum. No outdrive movement. Assuming this means it is the motor.
Sure sound like you have a bad trim pump motor.:(

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bet you it works if you have someone hold the trim button while you hit the motor with a hammer.

I remember when I was 8 years old and my grandfather would give me a hammer to go hit the trim pump. Then I got my first boat and found myself hitting the pump with a hammer.

That lasted one outing before I replaced the pump. I got my pump motor on ebay for about $75, it's marine spec, I don't know where it's made but I installed it and it's still working like a champ.

guarino67

Cadet

appreciate all the advice... I did try the hitting it with a hammer thing and still got nothing. A friend of mine suggested it might be air locked...is this a possibility?

Bondo

Staff member

appreciate all the advice... I did try the hitting it with a hammer thing and still got nothing. A friend of mine suggested it might be air locked...is this a possibility?

Nope,.... Pull it apart, 'n observe as ya go,...