Skeg replacement vs New Lower Unit

Moose_25_2500

Seaman
I have an alpha 1 gen 2 and I hit something that ripped the skeg off almost at the base. See the attached photos. I am going to call around at the local prop shops to get some pricing. Do you have to remove the gears before you weld because its so close to the housing? If thats the case am I better off just buying a new aftermarket Lower unit? Thanks

Attachments

• STEG 2.jpg
    STEG 2.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Sterndrive.jpg
    Sterndrive.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Skeg replacement vs New Lower Unit

See what the prop shop says first. They may want to do it without removing the gears. However, removing the lower bearing carrier and such isn't nearly as expensive as a new lower unit. Now, repairing a lower unit gearset is one thing, but just removing it is relatively painless for a shop with the correct tools.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

A good prop shop should be able to weld on a new skeg without disassembling the gearhousing. You should be able to just drop the lower and take it in. That is what I did with mine. In the meantime you should be able to just go ahead and use it, just remember that the prop will not be protected so be careful.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine broke off too but left a bit of a ridge. Took the lower off and got a replacement skegg for $25 and got it welded on at a local welding shop. $100 all in. In our situation he was able to control the heat by applying a damp rag to the drive.

thumpar

Admiral

My buddy broke his off like that on a ramp. A local prop shop welded it like new for $100.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... If it ain't leakin' oil, ya ain't gotta do Nothin' 'bout it,....

It does virtually Nothin' while underway,...

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Ontario I was quoted $260 for a skeg repair. I had enough left to use a skeg guard which cost me around $100. I don't think that you have enough left there though. If you can get it welded for the same price I would do it, but that is just a personal opinion. Bondo says that it does nothing but at least it will look right! I checked into a lower unit replacement cost just for fun and was not impressed with the price.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

It will work fine without it but I would get it fixed if it was me. We boat in a lake that can have junk in it during certain parts of the season and the skeg protect the prop.

alldodge

Staff member

If you do get it welded back on, Do Not grind down the weld flat to make it look better. Others have ground them down and the skeg will break off later, the weld bead is needed for strength

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I've done a couple like that and it's best to disassemble the housing. The reason is because to get good penetration on the weld the housing needs to be heated, and that heat will damage the bearing carrier 'O' ring. The best process is TIG, and with TIG quite a lot of heat is generated.

Chris.......

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... If it ain't leakin' oil, ya ain't gotta do Nothin' 'bout it,....

It does virtually Nothin' while underway,...

^^^^Agreed^^^^ If it's causing no problems... drive on.....

Moose_25_2500

Seaman

Update...I removed the lower unit and took it to a local prop shop. Quoted $150 and said he thinks he should be able to weld it without removing the gears. I brought up what Chris said about damaging the 'O' Ring and the guy told me he has done hundreds of these over the years without a problem. This shop had a pretty good reputation so we will see. Thanks everyone

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update...I removed the lower unit and took it to a local prop shop. Quoted $150 and said he thinks he should be able to weld it without removing the gears. I brought up what Chris said about damaging the 'O' Ring and the guy told me he has done hundreds of these over the years without a problem. This shop had a pretty good reputation so we will see. Thanks everyone
Make sure he pressure tests the drive after he is done. If he will not check the stickies and it will show you how. Make sure this is done in case that o-ring went bad. Would hate for you to loose a drive for a broken skeg.

Moose_25_2500

Seaman

Thanks for the advice about the pressure testing. Just left a message at the prop shop. Thanks again