Mercruiser 165 Outdrive Installation Done Correctly?

nomrwrk

Seaman
After reading many past posts, I recently serviced my impeller and outdrive. After three attempts :facepalm: to correctly install the outdrive, I think I got it right. The 1st attempt, all gears were locked and couldn't move the prop. My 2nd attempt left me without reverse gear. My 3rd attempt, everything seems correct: forward gear, prop locks counter clockwise and rotates clockwise; neutral gear, prop spins freely in both directions; reverse gear, prop locks clockwise and rotates counter clockwise. However, when I'm in forward and rotate the prop clockwise, it seems make a slight grind sound, then pop's forward. The same thing happens in reverse when I rotate the prop counter clockwise. I presume this is caused from the gear teeth engaging without SAE 90W gear oil in the outdrive. Here are some pics to show my setup prior to installation. Can anyone help me confirm that I have the outdrive properly assembled and installed correctly? Thanks!
Outdrive Installation 007.jpg
This is my outdrive
Outdrive Installation 003.jpg
The lower half of the outdrive with it locked in forward gear
Outdrive Installation 008.jpg
I have the prop off, so I used a heavy pipe wrench to keep the prop from rotating clockwise when I reassembled the outdrive
Outdrive Installation 006.jpg
I have the foot in forward gear
Outdrive Installation 011.jpg
I have the shift cable in forward gear

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 165 Outdrive Installation Done Correctly?

when I'm in forward and rotate the prop clockwise, it seems make a slight grind sound, then pop's forward. The same thing happens in reverse when I rotate the prop counter clockwise.

Perfectly normal.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

+1.... when you rotate the prop CW in FWD (and CCW in Rev), it will actually "ratchet" as it pops across the clutch dogs. There is a great cutaway photo of what that looks like on here somewhere... I'm sure someone can post it fast than me...but I'll look anyways.

(here it is: http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...nterrupt-system-works-288089.html#post1930449 )

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That clicking is the dog clutch riding over the ramp. It'll still happen when you fill the drive with High Performance Gear lube.... It's normal... In fact when I'm setting up shift cables I try to get as much of that as I can. The more you feel that clutch riding up the ramp, the better the engagement of that gear. The less 'free' movement the better (not referring to neutral)....

Chris...........

Last edited:

nomrwrk

Seaman

Thanks guys for your input. When I rotate the prop it definitely "rachets". Good to know that is normal and it should make a strong rachet/clicking sound, which mine is doing. I'll move forward in adding the high performance gear lube. Thanks for help!

achris

Thanks guys for your input. When I rotate the prop it definitely "rachets". Good to know that is normal and it should make a strong rachet/clicking sound, which mine is doing. I'll move forward in adding the high performance gear lube. Thanks for help!

Have you done a pressure test to ensure all that oil is going to stay inside the drive?...

Chris.......

nomrwrk

Seaman

I have not conducted a pressure test. I did not see that test as a requirement in the Mercruiser Service Manual 2. I can conduct a pressure test if it is recommended and/or required.

I did replace all O-rings and gaskets. All nuts were torqued to specifications. When I filled the drive with oil after my first attempt to install the outdrive, I did not see any leaks, but I have not ran the motor. Currently the outdrive does not have oil.

Thanks for the guidance.

achris

Have a look at this thread... It has all manner of different pressure/vacuum rigs. Although not in the service manual, it is in the technicians handbooks for Mercruiser, and a recommended procedure after a drive has been split. It's just a really good idea to prove the intergrity before filling with oil....

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...sure-check-prior-post-233546.html#post1573330

Chris.......

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Trying to understand the timeline.... You filled the drive after first attempt to install. Then you drained the oil? (trying to understand why). In any event...now is the right time to pressure test (no oil).

nomrwrk

Seaman

After the first attempt, I filled the outdrive with oil without testing if I installed it correctly. The next day, I realized I hadn't installed the outdrive correctly. I drained all of the oil, split the outdrive, put it back together and made my second attempt to install the outdrive. I realized that the second attempt was also incorrect for a different reason, so went through the procedure one more time. My third attempt is what I had posted with the pictures, which thank goodness is correct. Since I just completed the third install and wanted to make sure I installed the outdrive correctly, I decided to ask the experts before adding gear oil. Right now, there isn't any oil in the outdrive.

Thank you very much for the link. Tomorrow, I'll run a pressure test. All of the guidance is really appreciated!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Best of luck..... for future reference, better to pressure test with the drive off the boat, in case you need to use soapy-water spray solution to pinpoint leaks at the vertical shaft seals, the yoke seal, and the shift shaft bushing seal. Hopefully you will have a successful pressure drop test and wont need to figure out where a leak is...:)

nomrwrk

Seaman

Thank you everyone for the help. The pressure test was a success. It held 12 pounds of pressure overnight. I will now add the gear oil and call the installation done.