Mercruiser 3.7 Carb Idle Screw vs Sevice Manual Picture

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me why my idle screw looks NOTHING like the picture that is shown in the manual? Did someone jack the dang thing doing a rebuild...????20130916_132754.jpg20130916_132819.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.7 Carb Idle Screw vs Sevice Manual Picture

What's your engine serial number

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

B732203

alldodge

Staff member

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So my idle screw is SUPPOSE to contact the radius part of the throttle lever? Because, that's where mine makes contact. NOT on the flat tang?

Doesn't seem like that's right. How can it keep pressure on that piece with just 2 turns after contact? The black paint has been rubbed off (see my picture).

alldodge

Staff member

Yes your idle screw should rest against the radius part. The radius is a bit of a cam lobe so to speak. When the engine is cold and you pump the throttle the choke closes and the radius turns which sets the idle up a bit. As the engine warms up the choke starts closing and the idle is decreased until it comes to rest in the spot where the choke plate is fully open. This is why the paint is wore off the radius. If your carb and throttle linkage is adjusted correctly and in good order it should remain in contact.

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. I see now....so, when I back the screw off of that cam, what position should the cam return to? Or, will it?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

OK. I see now....so, when I back the screw off of that cam, what position should the cam return to? Or, will it?

If the engine is cold the cam will more to the 'cold' position. Same if the engine is warm, it will move to the warm position.....

That radius is a hang-over from the automotive fast idle cam. Just in a marine engine it's no longer stepped...

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But how do it know? Errr, uh....How would I know?

I just trust that it is still mechanically working properly, and then use the static idle procedure in the manual? It performs and responds as designed, but I think it is idling low.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That radius plate (as you're calling it) is linked (mechanically) to the choke plate. When the choke heater coil is cold it pulls the choke plate shut. That pulls the link and moves the radius plate.... HTH....

If your engine is idling slow, wind the idle speed screw in a little more.

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

10-4.

Just didn't want to booger anything up if I gave the screw a bit of a turn. I think I "bumped" it while I was screwing with the engine. I'm gonna check it with an external tach and make sure I am spot on what spec idle should be.

Running great in gear all the way up the rpm range. Timing stays within spec.

Thanks guys.