Mallory Ignition Distributor

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need help with Mallory Ignition Distributor #9-26306 on GM350 engine (inboard with Paragon transmission)
If anybody using it please let me know.
Thank you.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mallory Ignition Distributor

I'm not using it but it's a standard marine breakerless distributor, which uses an internal amplifier. What sort of problem are you having

Bondo

Staff member

Need help with Mallory Ignition Distributor #9-26306 on GM350 engine (inboard with Paragon transmission)
If anybody using it please let me know.
Thank you.

Ayuh,... Ya told Us what ya got,.... What's the Problem though,..??

Look into a new Delco Voyager if it needs replacin',....

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Need information what primary and secondary resistance should be for this style distributor.
Originally had ignition coil with external resistor,which went bad.
I prefer replacement coil with internal resistor,did try high power performance but is running extremely hot.
Just got this boat,and this distributor appear to be new,so trying to make it work.
Thank you.

alldodge

Staff member

Your distributor uses a standard 12V coil without a resistor. If your coil was getting hot there is another issue. What was the voltage reading on the + side of the coil.

Also if you have a tach connected to the - side of the coil remove it.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the high performance coil I had 12V,with coil and resistor much less 6-8V.

alldodge

Staff member

Your voltage reading is correct with the ballast resistor inline. Your distributor will work with or without the resistor inline but the coil is the decision point. The primary resistance of the coil determines if a resistor is needed or not; in other words use a standard 12V coil without the resistor inline, or a coil requiring external resistor with one. Mallory's coil without the resistor is 9-29702

Ignition Coil Tech

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for information.
Generally trying to fix engine dying problems.
It dyes during shifting for or rev (paragon tranny)also when idling,very hard to restart,or start when cold.
Rochester carb has been overhauled,acceleration pump work fine.

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks for information.
Generally trying to fix engine dying problems.
It dyes during shifting for or rev (paragon tranny)also when idling,very hard to restart,or start when cold.
Rochester carb has been overhauled,acceleration pump work fine.

Maybe your issue isn't the distributor but the interuptor switch, if it has one. Can yousupply more info on the engine and boat? Is your engine running at idle OK or are there issues? How does it run at WOT?

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is 1979 Chris Craft Catalina 251 with Volvo Penta AQ290A (GM 350)engine new in 1996, inboard @ Paragon tranny.
Can't get more than 3100 RPM under full throttle,when idle has tendency to stall.
There is no interrupter switch .

alldodge

Staff member

It is 1979 Chris Craft Catalina 251 with Volvo Penta AQ290A (GM 350)engine new in 1996, inboard @ Paragon tranny.
Can't get more than 3100 RPM under full throttle,when idle has tendency to stall.
There is no interrupter switch .

Has the fuel filter been replaced and has the carb been cleaned?
How is the fuel pump pressure?
If this just reciently happened probaly may want to do a compression test to see the state of the engine

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got this boat few weeks ago.
Good point ALLDODGE ,will check fuel pressure.
What pressure should read for this engine ?

alldodge

Staff member

Fuel pump should read between 5-8 psi

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK ,thanks for this vital info,also will run engine compression test to determine condition.
Do you think vacuum leak under the intake manifold my cause problems like that ?

NHGuy

Captain

Dying at idle is one thing, no revs above 3100 might be another or same thing.
Just do your basics. Get your coil solved. Check that fuel pressure, not hard. I'd expect a lean pop under load if there's a fuel supply issue though. Check idle rpms to about 750 neutral, 650 in gear. You can set idle mix by listening for the sweet spot between lean and rich, or put a vacuum gauge on it and find the most vacuum at idle. Timing should go to 30 or 32 degrees all in, maximum advance. Early heads supposedly can take a little more advance than Vortecs. If they are Vortecs keep it to 30 degrees. Set your base timing to make that maximum occur.
If you want to check the Quadrajet secondary air door tension you need a really short #10 torx bit in a little stubby fixture. Then you need about a 3/16" or 1/8" straight blade screwdriver, I use one of those little pocket screwdrivers. You HAVE to keep at least a little tension on the spring with the little screwdriver. While holding the screwdriver in the slot reach under the air door spring and unlock the tensioner with the torx bit. Set the spring between 1/2 and 3/4 turn from zero tension. Mine works best at a little less than 1/2 turn.
Don't just loosen the torx and let the spring free or you'll have to take the carb back off like I did. What a PITA.
3100 rpms is lousy. Unless the boat is barnacled, waterlogged or there's motor trouble, you should be seeing over 4300 at wide open.
Good luck, we have confidence!

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain

Vacuum leaks do make carb motors run badly. You can check by shooting some carb cleaner at suspected leak points, the motor will pick up speed if you feed the leak.