Mercruiser engine and stern drive

Dustman30

Cadet
Hello all, this is my first post. I recently aquired an older Grew boat with a Mercruiser inline/straight 6 165hp engine, and a Mercruiser stern drive. I have found through research, and also talking with the local Mercruiser marina, that the serial numbers for both the engine and drive indicate that the year range is 1970-1977 which indicates that my stern drive is a TR2???????? My problem is this. When shifting from reverse into neutral, the engine stalls out. I know that this is due to the cable, and the guy before me put one on it, that last year wouldnt shift at all, and now shifts, but does this in reverse. I googled this and found a lot of info, and people having the same issues, so it most likely is the cable, and I will simply put a new one on it, but I can not find the cable part number, or a breakdown for it. Please help, thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser engine and stern drive

:welcome:

It's more likely you have a Mercruiser 1 drive (MC1), although a TR is possible. And given that you have stalling on shifting would indicate you have a shift interrupt switch, again pointing more to the MC1. Could you post a photograph?

As for a cable number, for that we would require the drive serial number, as the years you posted cover 2 different styles.

Chris.........

Welcome!!

From what've seen in the charts in Don'S sticky at the beginning of this fourm..... the 165 never came with the TR II drive.

Looks to me like they only ran the MC-1. What's your drive serial# and someone on here can look it up for you.

Attachments

• 091710010.jpg
    091710010.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • models till '76 S.pdf
    179 KB · Views: 0

Dustman30

Cadet

Stern serial number. 4326504.
Marina and i have confirmed its a tr2. Are we wrong???

Dustman30

Cadet

Engine serial number is. 4611177

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

achris

Stern serial number. 4326504.
Marina and i have confirmed its a tr2. Are we wrong???

Quite possibly. As already stated, the 165 only came out with the 1 drive. Only V8s came with a TR drive. It is possible someone took a V8 out and put an online 6 in.... But I would be surprised.

Could you post a photograph of the whole drive?

Chris......

Dustman30

Cadet

I have done some research and with new pictures have determined that it is a mc1 drive. Please confirm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

yeah MC1
TR2 is a completely different animal with a transmission between the engine and transom and the TR2 drive doesn't even have shifting in it.

Last edited:

achris

Yeah, that is most definitely an MC-1... And it has a shift interrupt system. The most common problem with the system is a bad lower shift cable (usually because of water ingress) or incorrect adjustment...

Here's a link to Don's excellent explanatiion of how the system works... There is also a video of how the cable adjustment is done....

How it works -> http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...nterrupt-system-works-288089.html#post1930449

Adjustment video -> http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/couple-new-videos-590378.html

Chris.......

Dustman30

Cadet

Thank you all for your help identifying my drive. While I have the drive off to install the new cable, what suggestions do you all have to stop water getting into my oil. I have another post/thread on here with milky oil as the heading, and I figure I will check and see what I can do to stop it while the drive is off, any ideas??????????

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Dustman,
I had water constantly getting into my stern drive and could not figure out how it was intruding. I finally pulled the cap off the upper unit and filled it with water and found about a dozen pin holes in the upper housing, corrosion I guess. I bought a new upper from SEI and have had no problems since.
Larry

Drain the drive and pressure test it with air. Look in the Adults Only sticky for the thread on it.

Dustman30

Cadet

Thank you all for your comments but I am not talking about water and oil in my stern drive. I am talking about my engine oil. My engine oil is somehow mixing with water and when I check the dipstick it is milky and a lot higher on the dipstick then it should be. I have water coming in to my engine and mixing with the oil this is what I am trying to fix and figure out.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for your comments but I am not talking about water and oil in my stern drive. I am talking about my engine oil. My engine oil is somehow mixing with water and when I check the dipstick it is milky and a lot higher on the dipstick then it should be. I have water coming in to my engine and mixing with the oil this is what I am trying to fix and figure out.

Cracked block is usually the case with water mixing with engine oil

Dustman30

Cadet

If the block was cracked then the engine wouldn't run well correct this engine runs great doesn't misfire doesn't overheat doesn't smoke doesn't burn oil???

Bondo

Staff member

If the block was cracked then the engine wouldn't run well correct this engine runs great doesn't misfire doesn't overheat doesn't smoke doesn't burn oil???

Nope,... A Cracked block affects the coolin', 'n oil systems,...

It can easily still run Perfectly,...

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

yes, agree with Bondo, you can have a cracked block and have good compression on all cylinders, start right up, idle, and have good power. However, the water in the oil will slowly kill your engine.

suggest you keep the water in the engine oil thread separate from this one. its confusing.