New to forum...Maxum 1800SR water leak

Flyingfish2626

Recruit
I am experiencing a leak from the rear of the engine, pretty much center of rear of motor. 1995 Maxum 1800 4.3LX mercruiser engine. The boat leaks badly when floating in the water. I can feel water pouring out right in front of the intake water supply hose. It is a few inches forward of this hose. I can feel with my fingers and all that I can feel is the half circle shape of the coupler cover. All bellows have been looked at and are ok. My mechanic thinks there is a hole in the casting in the y-pipe. Any chance that I could have lost a freeze plug on the back of the motor? No milky engine oil and boat runs great. Thanks for the help and all of the great info in this forum.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New to forum...Maxum 1800SR water leak

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... A Gusher like that oughta be easy to pinpoint,....

Use yer digital camera,....

A core plug would only Gush when the motor's runnin',...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

+ 1 on photos or a video if possible. If it is a leak in the Y pipe it may have been caused by piece(s) of a failed shutter that fell down in the Y pipe and have worn a hole in the pipe due to vibration. Have you pulled off your drive and looked into the exhaust bellows and up into the Y pipe for other shutter pieces? Just a theory right now, but easy to check. Could also pull your exhaust elbows and check the shutters.

alldodge

Staff member

:welcome: to the forum

Not understanding the half circle shape 3 inches forward. There are freeze plugs on the back and sides of the engine. If your feeling the edge of the flywheel housing nd water is coming out of it, then it is possiable a freeze plug. Either way, a rear freeze plug or y-pipe you have to pull the motor.

Speakrdude

Ensign

A hole in the Y-pipe, typically is in the bottom of the y-pipe, in my experience.
If whomever didn't do a good job installing the drive, they may have pinched the large o-ring in half while installing. When that seal is broken, water leaks into the u-joints bellows and leaks into the boat from the hole in the gimble just forward of the bearing. (ask me how I know this)
The first thing to do is pull the drive. That will tell you if its there or not. If it is, your done, reassemble, If not, move on to the next step, which is pulling the engine.