Merc 3.0 in/out noise

Johny12

Cadet
So I took my boat out the other day after recently purchasing it. It's a 97 Maxum with a 3.0 merc. The boat seemed to run well until I brought it in to trailer it. I heard a noise coming from the prop area that sounded like "sneakers in a dryer" and I could feel it also. I thought i may have hit a log or something with my prop but that did not appear to the case after pulling it out. I had the trim up about half way because of the shallow water. My next step is to muff it and start it in the driveway to see if the noise is still there, I was told not to place the motor in gear while the muffs are on? Thanks for any help with this.

Johny

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc 3.0 in/out noise

So I took my boat out the other day after recently purchasing it. It's a 97 Maxum with a 3.0 merc. The boat seemed to run well until I brought it in to trailer it. I heard a noise coming from the prop area that sounded like "sneakers in a dryer" and I could feel it also. I thought i may have hit a log or something with my prop but that did not appear to the case after pulling it out. I had the trim up about half way because of the shallow water. My next step is to muff it and start it in the driveway to see if the noise is still there, I was told not to place the motor in gear while the muffs are on? Thanks for any help with this.

Johny

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... For Safety reasons, ya might wanta take the Prop Off,....

other than that, there's No reason not to engage the drive in gear to test for yer vibration,...

Lotsa Great Info up in Don'S Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...
includin' links to the factory manuals,...

Last edited:

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I heard a noise coming from the prop area that sounded like "sneakers in a dryer" and I could feel it also.
Loved the description!
Sounds like U-joints. Especially if you run (even in neutral) with drive trimmed half way up. The u-joints can handle that at times, but should avoid trimming high at all times and stay out of shallow water.

airshot

Rear Admiral

On my alpha one I believe the drive should not be more than around 6-61/2" up when measured on the extended length of the hyd cylinders rods, sound like you had the outdrive to high while running. If you check the measurement your outdrive can't be raised very high and still be safe to run, from the trailer position probably only a quarter of the way up mabey. Those u-joints get a very harsh workout at higher settings. Hope nothing serious.