1986 mercruiser 3.7 170 hp 3.7 alternator conversion kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a mercruiser 3.7 liter 170hp i/o. 4 cylinder with power steering. I'am wanting to switch to a conversion. I see a bunch on eBay and online. Some luck cheap and some look decent. Any recommendations on which one to get? I don't have a lot of room my engine cover a tight fit. And is it better to go to a one wire alternator or three? Ive seen forums where they say one starts charging at 1600 rpms.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 mercruiser 3.7 170 hp 3.7 alternator conversion kit

sw395,
Take a look at the systems offered by Breezeworks. They offer systems with & w/o power steering. I believe all of their systems are 3 wire.

As I understand it a 1 wire system does not start charging until 1200 to 1500 RPM, where a 3 wire starts charging upon start up.

Larry

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1986 mercruiser 3.7 170 hp 3.7 alternator conversion kit

I have a mercruiser 3.7 liter 170hp i/o. 4 cylinder with power steering. I'am wanting to switch to a conversion. I see a bunch on eBay and online. Some luck cheap and some look decent. Any recommendations on which one to get? I don't have a lot of room my engine cover a tight fit. And is it better to go to a one wire alternator or three? Ive seen forums where they say one starts charging at 1600 rpms.

Ayuh,.... Post yer question, Only Once,....

You posted this in the wrong forum, 'n I moved it,....

Look, 'n you'll see the redirect to yer original thread,....

This 1 is now Closed,....

Status
Not open for further replies.