Power loss- need help with this one!

Kevin7035

Cadet
I recently bought my first boat, a 1985 190 well craft with an 170 Mercruiser engine. It sat for 3 1/2 years unused before I purchased it and has required a good bit of work to keep it on top of the water. Here is a run down of what has been done mechanically. Removed and cleaned fuel tank, replaced fuel lines (fill, vent, and delivery), replaced fuel pump, rebuilt carb., replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, and coil, unstuck distributor weights, set timing, and replaced water pump in lower unit and to top it off, until I bought this one, I knew nothing about boats. I've had it out several times working bugs out of idle and take-off issues, now that those are corrected, I'm losing about 25% power after 15-20 minutes of 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, it doesn't loss plane, but there is a noticeable difference in engine sound and speed. I noticed that the temperature normally runs at about 150 on the gauge and when temperature reaches about 170 that's when I have the power loss. If I leave the throttle in the same position, the temperature will come back down after about 5 minutes and the power returns. Also found that if I trim as far up as possible it doesn't reach the 170 mark and runs fine. What can be causing the loss of power and what is the relationship of the power loss to the temperature?

Re: Power loss- need help with this one!

Hi, and welcome:)
I can't think of anything that fits with the symptoms as you describe them:( so some clarification of the symptoms is needed.
Does it do this consistently every time?
Which comes first - increase in temp, or decrease in power?
What happens after the power comes back? If you continue at the same throttle setting, does the problem repeat itself?

Walt T

Lieutenant

I would verify the temp gauge first using a laser thermometer gun. I guess vapor lock? Maybe carb starts running out of fuel and when you back off it fills back up?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

something electrical (bad ground, alternator issue) could be affecting your ignition as well as the temp sender.

also kinda sound like you are just running through beds of weeds.

Kevin7035

Cadet

Hi, and welcome:)
I can't think of anything that fits with the symptoms as you describe them:( so some clarification of the symptoms is needed.
Does it do this consistently every time?
Which comes first - increase in temp, or decrease in power?
What happens after the power comes back? If you continue at the same throttle setting, does the problem repeat itself?

Yes, it does this every time I'm out. The temperature will increase to about 170 and then comes the power loss. If I leave the throttle in the same position, once the temperature comes down, the power returns. This will repeat as long as I'm running open water. Also, if I'm running at 1/2 throttle when the power loss occurs, pushing the throttle down doesn't change power or engine speed. When I'm in open water not touching the throttle, engine speed goes up and down with temperature change: high temp=low speed, normal temp=normal speed and this cycles repeatedly.

Live-liner

Seaman

170 Is a normal temp. Your t-stat should be 160. You didn't say that you replaced your fuel filters. If you did, did you replace ALL of them? To me, sounds like fuel starvation.....

Ok :confused: interesting it runs ok with drive trimmed up! What do you mean by "trimmed up as far as possible"? If it's on plane and just short of porpoising, then it's trimmed correctly. If you run it trimmed down the bow will be ploughing through the water causing the engine to work harder, and causing temp to rise. Rise in temp could then be causing a problem with the power output. Could be an ignition (misfire?) issue. Really just guessing here :(

Kevin7035

Cadet

170 Is a normal temp. Your t-stat should be 160. You didn't say that you replaced your fuel filters. If you did, did you replace ALL of them? To me, sounds like fuel starvation.....

I did replace the fuel filters, new filter in pump and new screen in carb. Mine came for previous owner with an inline fuel filter installed. Looked at a few of boats around same year and same engine, none of them have the inline filter. My thinking is starvation due to too many filters??? Going out now to remove that filter and test it.

I did replace the fuel filters, new filter in pump and new screen in carb. Mine came for previous owner with an inline fuel filter installed. Looked at a few of boats around same year and same engine, none of them have the inline filter. My thinking is starvation due to too many filters??? Going out now to remove that filter and test it.

If it was fuel starvation wouldn't you notice the loss of power first, and then the temp would go up due to running a lean mixture??

Kevin7035

Cadet

Okay, removed the inline fuel filter, took it out and it ran the entire time with the "power loss". It took about 30-45 seconds for it to plane. I'm not sure if it was running lean before due to the multiple filters and the carb is adjusted lean, but now running rich due to increased fuel pressure or what, but it defiantly is acting like a fuel/air mixture issue now. I'm going to set up the vacuum gauges and reset the carb and timing settings.

alldodge

Staff member

Sounds to me like imsufficient fuel flow. Get a gas can, put "fresh" gas in it and put the line going to the fuel pump in the gas can and give it a try