1987 Mercruiser 3.0 fuel system

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone. I picked up a 1987 arrow glass carisma 17 foot boat in decent shape for a very good price.

I decided to go through everything and do a full tuneup on the engine. Looking at the fuel system is getting kind of confusing to me.

Is there a complete diagram of the fuel system from the tank to carb? I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance

Pat

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1987 Mercruiser 3.0 fuel system

:welcome:

From the tank to the engine is the realm of the boat builder/engine installer. From the first connection point to the carb is the engine maker (Mercruiser).

Generally, from the tank you should then have an anti-syphon valve, then a water separating fuel filter (if there isn't one on the engine). Once the fuel line reaches the engine it will go through a water separating filter (if you don't have one on the engine, see the previous mention of this filter)... The the fuel pump to the carb. Depending on the engine you may have a filter in the pump, and a filter in the inlet of the carb...

Please provide the engine serial number and I can look up and see if your engine has a water sep filter, and what (if any) filters in the pump and carb....

You also need to ensure the tank, fuel filler, vent and any non-engine attached filters are properly earthed back to the engine block...

Chris........

Last edited:

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that info. One thing I'm curious about. What is the fuel psi to the carb?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for that info. One thing I'm curious about. What is the fuel psi to the carb?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... All carbs run 4 to 6 psi fuel pressure,....

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beautiful. I assume that's regulated at the carb.