new to me 470 yes im the new dummy

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone
I just purchased a 1984 crestliner nordic with the dreaded 470, starter is shot I knew that when i bought the boat, it has had the alt conversion done, and the owner said it ran great prior to the starter failure, but thats what every owner I have ever bought from said. Any to keep from rambling Im not looking for high performance just steady reliable. Im shinking going to a 3.0 I know Im going to loose some HP's but I can live with that in a all aluminum light boat like this. I just want to put it in and fire it off and go not worry what mood it in today, I allready have a wife and daughter for that. Can anyone advise me what I would be undertaking swaping to a 3.0. I really got a good deal in the boat and I dont mind spending a few bucks I understand resale value but hell I loose everytime I sell anyway. whats the simplest,most reliable, route to take here.
thanku everyone

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: new to me 470 yes im the new dummy

Hadaveha,
Before you start spending big bucks and a complete engine swap, get the starter rebuilt(cheaper) and see how the 470 runs. If you already have the alternator conversion you have solved 1/3 of the 470 issues. The next issue is overheating, don't ever let it get over 190-200 degrees.
The 470 is a powerful engine and workhorse if maintained.
Larry

Last edited:

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Larry
In a way thats what scares me, who knows how hot this motor has been in its 30 yrs of life. I love the idea of the 470, easy to winterize, lots of power, but good on fuel. It has the alternator conversion it allso has the pertronix ignitor, and the flame thrower coil. I just got such a good deal I keep waiting for the cracks to start showing up. I did change the oil it was black but free of water or antifreez. I quess my question is even with a compleet overhaul will this motor be as clockwork reliable as the 3.0 because you trully know what you are getting with the 3.0

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

If the motor had been overheated, the head gasket would likely be blown, so that would tell you right there how hot is has been. If so, replace the head gasket and fire it up. Check the compression... if those numbers are good, then I would replace that starter and keep the 470. It sounds like the previous owner has already done some upgrades to get the motor to be very reliable.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

dave,
You have 3 basic issues with a 470 that if you get these issues under control the engine is solid and powerful. The alternator conversion is done so 1 issues solved. The biggest issue is heat, do you know if you have the 3" or 4" heat exchanger? As long as you control the heat you should have no problems.It is recommended that you change the impeller in the lower unit every 2-3 years to keep sea water flow good. Overheating generally blows the head gasket. The next issue would be antifreeze leak around the cam seal. If your maintain a steady level of coolant then you are fine. On the very bottom of timing cover there is a small weep hole. If there is antifreeze leaking from the weep hole then it is time to change the cam seal. This forum has many old articles on how to do this plus a bunch of 470 owners to help you.

I found my 470 powered 24' tritoon setting in a field in Applesprings, Texas in 2008. The owner said it had not been started in five years and the starter was off the engine. I changed the oil new plugs etc and she started right up and has been running strong ever since. I did the alternator conversion and had to get a new upper unit for the outdrive and I totally rebuilt the boat and she runs strong.

Well that's my story and I am sticking to it .

Oh by the way the shop manual can be found in the Adult section of this forum, you'll need manual #8.

Larry

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone ever looked into doing away with the impeller on the cam so as to not have to have the seals on the cam somehow closing the cover cam hole over and adding a belt driven water pump or a 12 volt electric. the really bad areas of the 470 from what I have been reading is the stator, cam waterpump seals, and head gasket right.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry a1 I was typing about the 3 weak spots at the sametime you was didnt mean to talk over you

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Dave,
You'll find replacing the cam seals a whole lot easier than trying to rig up your outside water pump. My engine is 29 years old and still no leaks.

Larry

Walt T

Lieutenant

Someone comes in with a 470 I hide in the shed with the yard tools. Nobody'd ever think I'd be in there.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Geeze lighten up hadaveha you read too much LOL. First off you would need a fully dressed 3.0 and new outdrive because the 470 alpha I is the wrong gear ratio for the 3.0. So calm down and get the starter working, get it started on muffs and do a compression check and a cooling system pressure check (borrow the tools from autozone), and see what you have. If the compression is ok and the cooling system is functioning properly you have nothing to worry about. When you have it running, check the little weep hole on the lower starboard side of the timing chain cover to make sure it is open, and not leaking. If it is, replace the seals and use a speedi sleeve, that will be a good temporary fix for the next 10-12 years or so. If it is not leaking you will have to content yourself with worrying about when it might start leaking. A 470 in good working order is every bit as reliable as a 3.0. Good luck and welcome to the "470" Club, maybe :facepalm::D

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know I know
I just love this boat its a 22ft all aluminum cuddy cabin and its only 1800lbs, that being said for once in my life I just want to pull up to the ramp and know what ever is in the boat it will start, run good, and get us back. I love the idea of the 470 light, good on gas, powerfull, easy to winterize. if I can get it to do those 3 things Ill be as big of 470 fan as there is. I just don't want to spend a small fortune finding out, we all know what a 3.0 is about.

The only way your going to get an engine to run like a top and be worry free is good old maintenance. Do the stuff that's suggested in the manual for maintenance. So many people buy a boat, store it for a year, do nothing to it but put gas in, and then one weekend, load it up with 6-people for weekend of fun, and then complain of issues. Nothing likes to sit.

I've had mine for over 10-years now, and have had many excellent days out, and some days with issues. The days with issues weren't 470 related. I've had the voltage regulator issues, but it never left me stranded. The weep hole issue also..... Both are resolved. Keep up on the impeller in the drive, and have good gauges and have fun.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys I must say that most everyone I have talked to hear and at my local marina has said go at it with the 470, so Ill be working on getting the starter off this week. Thank you all so much for making me feel a lot better about what I have. Im sure Ill worry you all half to death as I start getting this baby up and running again.
Thanks Everyone

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm two seasons in with a 1983 470. Boat and motor were well maintained by the long time previous owner. I have had zero problems. Having said that on the advice of many on this forum I have converted to an alternator, swapped a 4" heat exchanger for the 3", installed a Pertronix ignition (my choice), new impellar every two seasons and a new Gimbal bearing. The cam seals are still an unknown but weep hole is open and not leaking. It's all been good.

Dennis