Water in Oil-Merc. 3.0L

Maxum88

Seaman
Hi Guys,

I'm helping a friend with his boat, he's all thumbs and unfortunately, I've had to do my own fair share of maintenance.

1998 Searay 180
3.0L Mercruiser
Alpha One outdrive

Just a few weeks ago his starter just completely fell off of his motor into his bilge while out on the water. We had it fixed and they had to put in a helicoil. All seemed fine until last night.

Everything was going fine when he noticed the boat slowing down then eventually died. He opened the engine compartment, only to find an oil and water mix (coffee w/ lots of cream) on top of his flame arrestor. It had blown the mixture out of the valve cover vent. The dipstick shows the same and is about 10 times past the full mark.

I realize we probably have 2 problems on our hands...the starter being loose & possibly seized with the sound he said it made (I don't think they installed the bracket) and the water in the oil. At this point I know if could be a number of things. I pulled the plugs last night, they were moist and smelt like gas, but there wasn't a clear indication that the cylinders were filled.

My plan of action was to start by tightening the starter to prevent damage to the flywheel, drain the oil, remove the filter, put new (cheap) oil in w/ a filter, and do a compression test. I'm really hoping it's something like the exhaust riser or the exhaust manifold since they're easy to get to. I have the same motor on my boat so swapping things before purchasing is a plus.

Would anyone else have a better or different course of action?

Thanks!
-Tim

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Water in Oil-Merc. 3.0L

Get the starter straighten out with the correct bracket .....Then pull the spark plugs and turn the motor over to clear the cylinders of water. Spray down cycinders with W-D40 or something like that.

Just to save some money.....dump the oil outa the filter and reuse for checking porpose. Of course new cheap oil.

Good luck!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

History on boat? Ten times on the dip stick more than likely cracked block. Was it winterized?

Volphin

Lieutenant

Agree with Bonzo... The motor has a cracked block, or the inner seal let go on the pump filling the crankcase with water.

Bondo

Staff member

Agree with Bonzo... The motor has a cracked block, or the inner seal let go on the pump filling the crankcase with water.

Huh,..??..?? Wrong motor,....

Sounds like a Cracked block to Me, either from a Bad winterization, or possibly a Major Overheat,...

Drain the blocks coolin' jacket, isolate it, 'n pressurize with Air,...
You'll Hear the crack, follow the sound,...

Maxum88

Seaman

Thanks for the advice!

The boat performed flawlessly last season when purchased, was winterized, and has performed flawlessly this entire season until a few weeks ago with the starter completely falling off the motor. We got that "fixed" and are now faced with this issue.

The boat, although only a 4 cylinder, is used for tubing and wakeboarding...but there's never been any issues or signs of overheating or overstress.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Starter falling off motor sounds like Hydro-lock but that would not have caused 10 times level on dip stick. If it has been winterized properly, operating properly this season, I'd change the oil and start from square one. You could have ingested water through the flappers causing the starter hydro-lock problem, but not all the water oil mix you describe.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Huh,..??..?? Wrong motor,....

Sounds like a Cracked block to Me, either from a Bad winterization, or possibly a Major Overheat,...

Drain the blocks coolin' jacket, isolate it, 'n pressurize with Air,...
You'll Hear the crack, follow the sound,...

Yep. Sorry guys, was half asleep in a meeting. ;)

Last edited: