how to adjust automatic choke 3.0liter 4 cyl.

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
How to accurately adjust automatic choke 3.0 liter 4cyl. checked for power to choke and there is power with the key on .
engine will not idle when cold until it gets warmed up (about five minutes) I took the choke cover off and spring looks good and adjusted so butterfly just closes and retightened ( dont know if this is proper)?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to adjust automatic choke 3.0liter 4 cyl.

USUALLY, you start with a cold engine, loosen the 3 screws, adjust untill you can insert a 1/8 inch drill bit between the plate and carb body.
start engine ,if you open the plate and it runs smoother,you still have too much choke and will need to open the plate further opened.

alldodge

Staff member

Looks like the choke is a bit to tight. The spring inside is heated by the electric wire feeding it. You need the engine cold (over night type), but these days the temp is around 70 in the AM. If it is 70 the choke should be almost closed, just a slight bit of an opening. The 3 screws should be loosened, not removed, and the plastic cover turned until the choke just touches. If it's 70 outside, open it back u just a hair (so to speak). With it running bad until the electric heater opens the choke up, just open it a bit more if it continues to do it until it runs better or starts stalling, then move back to more choke.

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I did not know how the electrical operated the choke.unsure if it opened or closed it.I will set it up as you say thanks again!!