changing alternator belt on 1989 3.0 mercruiser....help

jran

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the middle of trying to put new alt. belt on my 1989 3.0 mercruiser....what the heck gives.....How many bolts have to be removed and how many engine pieces do I have to remove??????Huge head ache.....Please..... someone with some good instructions is needed very badly......lol.......thanks...I hope someone can help.....

alldodge

Staff member
Re: changing alternator belt on 1989 3.0 mercruiser....help

Agree with unsureboatguy but will add, you need to check the outdrive alignment when done. Only other way to change the belt is to jack the engine up from underneath using a bottle jack and block of wood against the pan. This way you can disconnect the entire mount. Still need to check alignment once done.

Good luck

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: changing alternator belt on 1989 3.0 mercruiser....help

While you are in there replacing the belt, buy a second belt, place it through the mount while the spacer is out and zip-tie it out of the way. When the belt needs replacing again, you won't have to monkey around with the mount, just use the zip-tied one that's already inside the mount.

Also, why does the belt need replacing, wearing out or snapped? (Are the pulleys clean, not rusted up?)