Cooling systems maintnenance - 1982 Celebrity 898

turpehar

Cadet
The boat.

1982 Celebrity 898, 188v, serial 6068244
Drive Unit; Mercruiser serial 6089398
Transom Assembly Serial 6154420
This has a Rochester 2GV setup tagged as a 1376-8295
and has been modified with electronic ignition.

I did not have this boat in the water last year. This summer I replaced the starter as it was failing, along with a battery,
Remote Solenoid and power steering reservoir. I also had the carb rebuilt by a nationally recognized company.

The carb was sent with the incorrect throttle shaft to accelerator pump shaft linkage so the pump would not rotate.
I sent it back and they took care of me.

Here is my issue;
I started the boat and it fired right away since I emptied the fuel tank and flushed it out, and put in fresh fuel and fuel filters. It runs great and life is good.

Fast forward about 7 minutes and the motor is running at around 210f on muffs which is odd. Normally it is about 170f. I pulled the thermostat and tested it, and was fine.

So my question is simple. Should I be looking at an impeller rebuild or a clogged water passage?

Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cooling systems maintnenance - 1982 Celebrity 898

question is simple. Should I be looking at an impeller rebuild or a clogged water passage?

Thanks

Howdy,

My answer is simple too..... YES! (to both)

Cheers,

Rick

turpehar

Cadet

I'm going to take it to the lake and drop the rear in the water and see what difference that might make. It's 2 miles away.
Thanks for the replies gents.

IF it's overheating on muffs... don't waste your time. It's gonna do it there too.

Unless the hose is pinched or someone is shutting off the water on you. ;)

turpehar

Cadet

I need a how to for replacing the impeller. YouTube or something. I am mechanically minded but have never dinked with on of these. Would rather avoid problems.

Thanks

turpehar

Cadet

I ordered the parts kit a few minutes ago. Kind of strange. After I started see the parts involved and realizing the impeller is rubber, I remembered back in the spring when I first fired it up and having starter issues, I noticed some small rubber like chunks under the lower unit. It all makes sense now.

Bondo

Staff member

I need a how to for replacing the impeller. YouTube or something. I am mechanically minded but have never dinked with on of these. Would rather avoid problems.

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Up in the Adults Only section, created by DonS, you'll find Alota Merc info, 'n you can follow the links to the factory Manuals,...