Which Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit do I need?

2005Vip

Seaman Apprentice
Couple questions...

Which Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit do I need?
Do I need to get a new coil?
If I should get a new coil which one do I need?
Has anyone installed one and noticed increased performance? Or is it just ease of maintenance?

I figured if I need to get my timing adjusted I might as well put one of these in if it's worth it.

Thanks,

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit do I need?

All it does is give you spark, designed for those who want maintance free operation vs having to know how to repair things on their boat.
points, rotor and condensor are a lot cheaper the electronics. Accidently installing your battery backwards fries it instantly, with points there is no damage.Field repairs are easily done vs replacement of the electronic units.
Get a manual and learn how to install, adjust and repair your points system. Because when the big EMP burst comes we`ll be fishing and they wont be able to get their engines to run.

thumpar

Admiral

Does your 2005 boat really have points? I would think it already has some kind of electronic ignition.

thumpar

Admiral

WOW. Even my 1996 is electronic ignition and EFI. Here is what Pertronix lists:

All 4 110, 120, 140, 165, 170, 180, 190, 22, 79 Delco 1146A 91146A

What is your engine serial? I would really be surprised if it was points unless some older motor was installed.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Wow, they don't even list a points distributor in the parts for a 1997 engine, let alone a 2005. Assuming (and it is a big assumption) you have a conventional Delco points distributor you would want a 91146A Ignitor II and a 45011 (oil) or 45111 (epoxy) Flamethrower II coil. Does the distributor plate look like this? Pertronix 91146A Pertronix Ignition I2 Delco CW 4CYL | eBay BTW what is your engine serial number, and has it been replaced?

2005Vip

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, they don't even list a points distributor in the parts for a 1997 engine, let alone a 2005. Assuming (and it is a big assumption) you have a conventional Delco points distributor you would want a 91146A Ignitor II and a 45011 (oil) or 45111 (epoxy) Flamethrower II coil. Does the distributor plate look like this? Pertronix 91146A Pertronix Ignition I2 Delco CW 4CYL | eBay BTW what is your engine serial number, and has it been replaced?

I'll swing by storage later today and get the info. I also though that it seemed odd for such a new engine, but the previous owner was talking about points. Maybe I'm way off here.

2005Vip

Seaman Apprentice

0W0544705

I guess it doesn't have points?

2005Vip

Seaman Apprentice

I was getting a pinging noise close to 4000 rpm's. In another thread they had suggested my timing was off. So I figured I would I stall one of these kits at the same time.

alldodge

Staff member

I was getting a pinging noise close to 4000 rpm's. In another thread they had suggested my timing was off. So I figured I would I stall one of these kits at the same time.

Check your plugs, cap, rotor and reset timing tp spec should do it.