High output altenator for mercruiser 305

smtharrison

Cadet
Good morning all, recently installed an Ac unit in my 2001 bayliner cierra... I have a power inverter installed that, by the numbers, is more than adequate. I have also installed an inexpensive auto transfer switch for switching between shore power and the batteries/inverter... Works great! So we ran for about 3-4 hours yesterday, and after around 3 hours, watching the volt meter come down over the day to hover around 11-11.5 the inverter kicked off (assume it hit the low volt failsafe). When it switched off the volts went back to around 13 (which is typical altenator output). I also have 2 good size marine batts in parallel that I don't this to be a problem. Question, can any of you recommend a high-output marine grade altenator for this engine? It's a mercruiser V lightening (Chevy 305). I suppose I could just find a high output altenator for a Chevy truck with a 305... The car audio folks do this stuff all the time... Anyway I yield to the forms. :)

smtharrison

Cadet
Re: High output altenator for mercruiser 305

I should also note we had the radio up most of the day too, which was also taking some of the juice...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: High output altenator for mercruiser 305

Get a bigger boat with a genny. cant run that much with the standard wiring. you need a #6 or a #4 from the alt to the starter lug.

Last edited: