will mercruiser 160 outdrive lower fit into new se106 upper?

sn 2460401
title pretty much says it all my upper locked up on me and ive decided to go with a new se106 upper in the correct gearing. from what i can tell the lower may still be good. im just wondering if the mercruiser 160 lower is compatible?
(hoping it is!!!)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: will mercruiser 160 outdrive lower fit into new se106 upper?

Compatible, yes... Advisable, no.

When you say 'locked up', what exactly do you mean?

by locked up i mean the underside of the top plate where the gears are located, for lack of a better term exploded, when the ring around the bearing came off, and several pieces of it large and small fell into the gears chipping teeth and seemingly jamming everything up. could not get the gears to budge even slightly to clean out between them. ive decided to go with a new upper and try to use the old lower if i can. im new to all of this so any helpful information is appreciated.

achris

Given that information... It's likely the lower will not survive long. Any metal shards created in the upper do find their way into the lower very quickly.... Without fully stripping the lower and cleaning EVERYTHING, it won't last long....

a new sei 106 lower unit is slightly out of the budget right now. should i possibly look for a newer used alpha one gen 1 lower? ive seen a few locally that claim to have passed pressure test and vacuum tests and these are more affordable.

achris

Up to you... I can only tell you what I know....