U joint bellows, new purchase 305 mercruiser

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice
Who here would consider a small hole in the U-joint bellows "about the tip of your finger" a deal breaker on a boat purchase after test driving the boat for nearly 2 hours with no other complications?

Questions comments or ideas appreciated!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: U joint bellows, new purchase 305 mercruiser

If it has a hole in the uni bellows, and it was run with it for 2 hours :eek:, the unis and the gimbal bearing are most likely already shot. I would also be looking at the front seal on the drive.... I would walk away....

Chris.....

NHGuy

Captain

none

Last edited:

achris

What's the location? Salt water or fresh? Reason I ask is because if the hole's been there a while, and water has sat in the bellows, then if it's salt, goodnight to the bellows mounting flange lip on the gimbal housing.... And most likely also, goodnight to the yoke in the front of the drive....

At the very least, have the drive removed and THOROUGHLY inspect everything....

Chris.....

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice

If it has a hole in the uni bellows, and it was run with it for 2 hours :eek:, the unis and the gimbal bearing are most likely already shot. I would also be looking at the front seal on the drive.... I would walk away....

Chris.....

Not sure the tear was there during test drive.. The boat was loaded and transported after the test drive and has not been in the water since.. What would be the considered cost of replacing the bellows along with other said parts in a worse case scenario situation.. Not including replacing the entire outdrive.. It is a lifetime freshwater boat

Last edited:

achris

Not sure the tear was there during test drive.. The boat was loaded and transported after the test drive and has not been in the water since.. What would be the considered cost of replacing the bellows along with other said parts in a worse case scenario situation.. Not including replacing the entire outdrive.. It is a lifetime freshwater boat

If you are not sure about it, then read my previous post...

At the very least, have the drive removed and THOROUGHLY inspect everything....

Costs vary. A 'transom seal kit' costs about $200. You didn't say what drive is on (Bravo, Alpha One, Alpha One gen II)... You would also have the cost of the unis, and repairs to the front seal in the drive.. Without pulling the drive and assessing the damage, a cost figure is difficult. Worst case could be as high as $1500+

But again At the very least, have the drive removed and THOROUGHLY inspect everything....

Chris.....

NHGuy

Captain

I was going to say something but I defer to Achris. He a very experienced fella!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

My consideration would include the price of the boat compared to market value and also your willingness to take on a "project" instead of having a "splash-ready" boat. Is the owner willing to pull the drive for you to look inside the bellows? Even if you spring 10 bucks for a gasket set (and the trouble) for the drive pull? Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!