My boat is a dog, low on power, new 5.7 engine

Hello all, been on the site watching for quite some time, had an old account years ago which is now defunct however I need some assistance so now I'm back! Here is my plight and I hope this can get figured out sooner than later.

So the rundown is this. This past winter I purchased a new to me 1998 Trophy 2352FV from the original owner. The motor froze and cracked the block resulting in it needing a new engine when I purchased it. The stock engine was a 5.0 with a 2 barrel Mercarb on it. The Leg is an Alpha one with a 1.62 ratio with a 15 pitch Merc prop on it. I purchased a new 5.7 long block from Marine Power to put in it. The build date on the long block was this past February. I used all the parts from the 305 on the new build, risers and all looked great and showed minimal usage and wear. (The guy told me he had the 305 rebuilt approx. and only had approx 10hrs on it when it froze. Had to rebuild due to improperly flushing after salt water use and having the risers corrode and leak water into the engine resulting in a blow up) The parts were all replaced.

Moving along, the new engine was built and installed this summer. When I checked the carb it was all gummed up and the powerjet was seized in it so instead of messing around with it I just purchased a remaned Rochester 2 barrel instead. I pumped all the old fuel out and put in fresh before the initial startup. New filters all around were installed. New plugs, cap and rotor and wires, thermostat as well.

That's the engine, now the problem. The boat starts great, idles just fine and when on the muffs in neutral is runs great, quick revving and has no issue quickly climbing up to 4500 rpm. Would climb higher but I won't do that to it. Put it in the water and it is a dog. Takes a country mile to get up to speed after playing with both the trim tabs and outdrive trim and even at that I cannot get satisfactory performance out of it. It is now used in freshwater and is trailered, no slips. I cannot get more than 4000 rpm and 31mph outta her. That is tops. Average top speed is closer to 28-29mph. Speed is off GPS and the rpm are off my MAC timing light. The base timing has been set to 10 degrees at idle and I am achieving 28 degrees at 4000 rpm. Again these numbers are obtained off the timing light readout. Idle speed is right around 750-800 rpm. Shifts good, I also did a oil change in the leg. Just for kicks I put a 19 pitch prop on her just to see what it would do and I could not break 20 mph with it. I am running at about 4000' for elevation giver or take either way depending on where I am at.

I now have about 5 or 6 hours on the engine and am running out of things to try. I've talked with numerous dealers, shops and no one really seems to have any notions as to the problem. I have no idea what the performance out of the 5.0 was however as far as I am concerned that 350 should have no problem spinning that leg out and needing a steeper prop to work properly. I would like to obtain a better holeshot and believe I should be able to see top speed in the low 40's with no issue planing out. The wires and firing order have been checked and rechecked. I have not yet checked the exact fuel pressure. I need to I guess. It does have an electric pump. The throttle cables have been adjusted and set off the MERC manual as was the timing and idle while it was in the base mode with the wire grounded.

I'm open to suggestions here, I would sure like to get this running before freeze up and the warranty on the engine expires. Marine power suggested I switch to a four barrel setup which I am not opposed to however with the cost of a new manifold and carb close to $800 for an Edlebrock setup and almost $1600 for Merc stuff I would like more concrete evidence that is the issue first and will fix the problem instead of guessing. I have a hard time believing that is the problem when Merc setup thousands of boats with that carb setup. It would be nice to find a manifold/carb to try first to see if that corrects the problem first.... So, I'm open to help here guys, whatever your thinking would be great! I am away for the weekend so it may take a few days for me to respond but I surely will. If you need anymore info please ask and I will get it for ya. Thanks!

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: My boat is a dog, low on power, new 5.7 engine

:welcome:

The only things I can think of are that the carb is jetted incorrectly. Although both the 5.7 and 5.0 did come from Merc with 2bbl carbs, the carbs themselves are slightly different, and include different venturis. Also the TB-5 ignition module, again different between the 5.0 and the 5.7... Please don't ask for the timing curves. I wish I had them, but Merc don't publish for the TB-5 system. TB-4, plenty... Just one question, does the ignition system have a knock sensor (and associated module)? My research suggests the 5.0 does NOT have a knock sensor and the 5.7 does. That might have a bearing on your engine.

For ease of looking up diagrams, would you have the engine serial number of the old 5.0 block? (The Mercruiser number, should look like 0F123456)

Chris.......

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member

The stock engine was a 5.0 with a 2 barrel Mercarb on it. I used all the parts from the 305 on the new build. When I checked the carb it was all gummed up and the powerjet was seized in it so instead of messing around with it I just purchased a remaned Rochester 2 barrel instead. !
Hi there, As Chris mentions, The two most obvious things that are different between the 5.0 & 5.7 that could easily cause these running symptoms are the ignition control module and the carburetor venturi size.

Word of caution with online aftermarket carburetors that I have noticed in the past, Even though you look up one specific size carburetor for either your 5.0 or 5.7l engine, You may notice most of the time they are the same part number for both engine models. But in reality there is a difference between the two making it untrustworthy of what your truly getting in my opinion.:)

So yes you may want to go back and look up exactly what carburetor you bought then double check the part numbers and specifications if possible of the opposite size carburetor to try and narrow down what carburetor you actually received between the 5.0 & 5.7l. Also cross reference the OEM part numbers as a guide.

By the way, if you just went with OEM, you wouldn't have to worry about all that.:D (See signature line below):)

Since we don't have your engine serial number yet, Here is a close enough link to your engine model to use as an example to help show you the difference between the carburetor sizes,

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...g&inbr=2697&bnbr=90&bdesc=Carburetor(Mercarb) Pay attention to the notes.

And while i'm at it, i'll throw in the ignition control module example as well. See item numbers 35,

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...desc=Wiring+Harness+And+Electrical+Components

Hope you get it running better, Good luck.:)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

The ignition system and fuel mapping are different between the 305 and 350.

I know my 2002 Searay with a 5.0 had knock sensors, I believe your 1998 did as well (someone can confirm). I know that the knock sensor map is different between the two motors. How different, not sure, however I know its different enough to cause problems. I suspect the TBV is pulling back timing. Most V8's are running 22-24 degrees of advance with 10-12 degrees of base timing. since your only reading 28 total, you only have 18 degrees of advance over your 10 degree base timing. thats the TBV pulling back 4-6 degrees when you need it most.

I would swap to a 4 barrel intake and carb and maybe an XM cam along with the right TBV module if it was my boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Hello all, been on the site watching for quite some time, had an old account years ago which is now defunct however I need some assistance so now I'm back! Here is my plight and I hope this can get figured out sooner than later. So the rundown is this. This past winter I purchased a new to me 1998 Trophy 2352FV from the original owner. The motor froze and cracked the block resulting in it needing a new engine when I purchased it. The stock engine was a 5.0 with a 2 barrel Mercarb on it. The Leg is an Alpha one with a 1.62 ratio with a 15 pitch Merc prop on it. I purchased a new 5.7 long block from Marine Power to put in it. The build date on the long block was this past February. I used all the parts from the 305 on the new build, risers and all looked great and showed minimal usage and wear. (The guy told me he had the 305 rebuilt approx. and only had approx 10hrs on it when it froze. Had to rebuild due to improperly flushing after salt water use and having the risers corrode and leak water into the engine resulting in a blow up) The parts were all replaced. Moving along, the new engine was built and installed this summer. When I checked the carb it was all gummed up and the powerjet was seized in it so instead of messing around with it I just purchased a remaned Rochester 2 barrel instead. I pumped all the old fuel out and put in fresh before the initial startup. New filters all around were installed. New plugs, cap and rotor and wires, thermostat as well. That's the engine, now the problem. The boat starts great, idles just fine and when on the muffs in neutral is runs great, quick revving and has no issue quickly climbing up to 4500 rpm. Would climb higher but I won't do that to it. Put it in the water and it is a dog. Takes a country mile to get up to speed after playing with both the trim tabs and outdrive trim and even at that I cannot get satisfactory performance out of it. It is now used in freshwater and is trailered, no slips. I cannot get more than 4000 rpm and 31mph outta her. That is tops. Average top speed is closer to 28-29mph. Speed is off GPS and the rpm are off my MAC timing light. The base timing has been set to 10 degrees at idle and I am achieving 28 degrees at 4000 rpm. Again these numbers are obtained off the timing light readout. Idle speed is right around 750-800 rpm. Shifts good, I also did a oil change in the leg. Just for kicks I put a 19 pitch prop on her just to see what it would do and I could not break 20 mph with it. I am running at about 4000' for elevation giver or take either way depending on where I am at. I now have about 5 or 6 hours on the engine and am running out of things to try. I've talked with numerous dealers, shops and no one really seems to have any notions as to the problem. I have no idea what the performance out of the 5.0 was however as far as I am concerned that 350 should have no problem spinning that leg out and needing a steeper prop to work properly. I would like to obtain a better holeshot and believe I should be able to see top speed in the low 40's with no issue planing out. The wires and firing order have been checked and rechecked. I have not yet checked the exact fuel pressure. I need to I guess. It does have an electric pump. The throttle cables have been adjusted and set off the MERC manual as was the timing and idle while it was in the base mode with the wire grounded. I'm open to suggestions here, I would sure like to get this running before freeze up and the warranty on the engine expires. Marine power suggested I switch to a four barrel setup which I am not opposed to however with the cost of a new manifold and carb close to $800 for an Edlebrock setup and almost $1600 for Merc stuff I would like more concrete evidence that is the issue first and will fix the problem instead of guessing. I have a hard time believing that is the problem when Merc setup thousands of boats with that carb setup. It would be nice to find a manifold/carb to try first to see if that corrects the problem first.... So, I'm open to help here guys, whatever your thinking would be great! I am away for the weekend so it may take a few days for me to respond but I surely will. If you need anymore info please ask and I will get it for ya. Thanks!

Wow,.... I managed a few lines of this, 'n now my eyes are Bleedin',....

pop a few Paragraphs in there, 'n it might be Readable,....

FreeBeeTony

Captain

You say you set timing to 10* at idle and get 28* at 4000RPM.
Is the 28* total or 28* of advance which would equal 38* total?

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may be wrong and I apologize if I am, but isn't it supposed to have a 1.50 gear ratio?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Yes, a V8 usually takes a 1.5:1 outdrive......maybe they installed a 1.62 to compensate for the 5.0........:)

Thanks for the response so far everyone, keep it coming! To answer the questions thus far, I have broken the OP down with some paragraphs, sorry about that. As for the numbers here they are,

Stock 5.0 block number is - 0L030574 Casting number 880

Leg is an Alpha one with a 1.62 ratio, serial number is 0L116037. I guess it is possible it has been changed, I don't know. The guy I bought it from was the original owner who had all his service work done at Olympic boat center in California which has gone broke. I tried to track any service records down with no luck. If however it did have the 1.50 ratio in it I would be really in mess right now though...

The timing advance is at 28 degrees total @ 4000 rpm. According to the Marine power guys and book this is spot on. Actually they have it spec'ed at base timing of 8 degrees with a max of 26 degrees at 4000 rpm. According to them it is where it should be....

Does anyone have a jetting chart or the stock Rochester jetting specs for a two barrel on a 350? I ordered this remaned and they assured me it is the correct one for a 350 but we all know how that can go....

As for the electrical I suppose I could try to find a box for it and try it out. As stated before the timing curve is N/A however it would sure be nice to get them...

Keep it coming please, lots of good info and help coming in and a few things I should try out. Thanks!!

Walt T

Lieutenant

Looking down the throat of the carburetor with the control at full throttle can you see the throttle plates wide open? You're at 4000 feet, so that is the reason you have the 1.62. Going to 1.50 will worsen the problem at this point. With a 15" prop it should be leapfrogging every other boat out there and the 350 should be able to overwhelm that prop. With the previous set up speed maxed out at 30 mph at 4000 rpm. At 5000 its almost 40 mph assuming 15% slip. I would run a compression test first, see what it says. If it's spot on, then check the exhaust for a flapper stuck in there. simple stuff first before you start buying parts. Jets and power valves are for fine adjustments mostly so hold off. Make sure the choke flapper is opening also. Bottom clean, prop clean? Any gimbal noise, drive noise?
FYI I'm at 5000 feet and use 1.95 ratio and 21-23" props albeit duo props.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

just for comparisons. My 5.0 was in front of a 1.62:1 drive with a 15 x 19 pitch prop and I was pushing near 50mph with a 3300# boat.

since your at 4000' elevation, take about 12% power loss.

If the TB V module is still from the 5.0, it will have different programing than the 5.7 for the knock sensors.

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I am just curious Walt......Not disen you either...but what does the Elevation above sea level have to do with outdrive gear ratio.

Again im just asking!

NHGuy

Captain

Yup, altitude is part of it. Was the boat always at 4000 feet? Weight too, is it possibly waterlogged? Do you have a lot of cargo?
And the carb. I'd get the jets out and identify them. I will try to look up the jets for you later.
The TB V is a knock correcting system, I suppose you could try some mid grade and some premium to see if it advances farther. Those motors can take 32 total advance supposedly.

Fun Times

Staff member

Where the frig did they get their altitude information from???

7000' Fresno, CA :confused: (it's about 400')

4200' Las Vegas, NV :confused: (it's about 2000')

I'm not saying power loss at elevation isn't a real thing, but Mercury's elevation numbers are really whacked
I suppose in the Black mountains of fresno county California. Elevation: 1324 m = 4344 feet.:D Just a slight miscalculation. :facepalm:

Las Vegas, :noidea: Nice catch but you got me.

Last edited:

hookemdano

Cadet

I have a 1997 Trophy 2352FV with a 5.7 and 2 barrel carb

my alpha 1 is a 1.47:1 ratio

ORIGINAL PROP (# 48 78114 A45 13P - 16 INCH DIAMETER 13 PITCH)

I cant get to 4400-4600 RPM with a 15 pitch prob...but my engine is non-vortec...if yours is vortec, then maybe a 15" pitch should be fine

Walt T

Lieutenant

Gear ratio changes can allow a boat to use standard pitch props rather than to have to buy weird prop pitches, or props that are just too small. He has a big boat, I bet he'll benefit. Smaller boats probably can do without. every boat that came in to the dealership brand new we changed ratios automatically up here in Denver. sometimes we'd change them back for Powell boaters. It's not gods word you must change ratios, I'm just trying to help the guy out. It is a very interesting discussion though.

Thanks for the input everyone. Good stuff. So far now that the weekend is outta the way I need to check a few things on the boat. One is the ignition to see what box is on there. As for the comment about the carb plates and choke, yes they are opening and closing properly and all the way. As for the gear ratio, I have no clue as to whether it has been changed out or not. All I know right now is the performance is less than satisfactory. I may have to pull the risers off and check the exhaust flappers however I'm not to sure they are at fault, it runs really good and revs superb when on the muffs. One thing I am curious about for sure is what hookemdano is obtaining for numbers on his boat. If you could please let me know that would be great. Keep the suggestions rolling, thank you!