Losen bolt's for head

Andreaspalmer

Recruit
Hi

I have a Merc 165 from 1987 and I'm about to change head gasket, I have dismantled everything and only have the bolt's for the head left. But I can only unscrew 2 of 10 bult's.

Is where any special tips You guy's can give me?

Best regards

Andreas

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Losen bolt's for head

They are on there pretty tight (125 lb as I recall), so you can try a little penetrating oil soak, and then a long pipe on the ratchet handle. Use six point sockets or impact sockets if you have them. When they let loose they let loose.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont remove them one at a time. loosen them all a little at a time until they are loose. if you take out a bunch that puts more pressure on the one or two that are left. If you have one being stubborn, tighten a couple around it back down to take the pressure off.

Bondo

Staff member

They are on there pretty tight (125 lb as I recall), so you can try a little penetrating oil soak, and then a long pipe on the ratchet handle. Use six point sockets or impact sockets if you have them. When they let loose they let loose.

Ayuh,... I run 'em out with an impact gun in the same order I torque 'em down in,...

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I also use an impact for removing head bolts.
Through the years I've found that the chance of busting a fastener is much reduced using the impact.
Unless of course if the bolts are exhaust studs on a Triton 6.8. Then you are screwed....