Re: Pre-Alpha bellhousing - hinge pin lock nails removal

alesserfate

Seaman Apprentice

You should have an aluminum nail (that's what it looks like) that goes into the gimbal ring to hold the pivot pin in. You need to remove the nail, then pull the pin with a slide hammer.<br />Not sure about those phillips screws holding the pin. Never seen that before. Perhaps something a previous owner did on his own???

Hey guys,

Sorry to bring up such old thread but Im in the process of pulling off the bell-housing as well (to change the raw water hose fml) and I've got the same pin/nail setup on mine. How do I get the nails out ?

DSCF5567.jpg

DSCF5570.jpg

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Pre-Alpha bellhousing

Hey guys,

Sorry to bring up such old thread but Im in the process of pulling off the bell-housing as well (to change the raw water hose fml) and I've got the same pin/nail setup on mine. How do I get the nails out ?

Thanks in advance..

Ayuh,.... Did you notice the Huge Red banner askin' ya NOT to do that, but to start a thread of yer own,..??

Well,..... yer Welcome, I did it for ya,....

alesserfate

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Did you notice the Huge Red banner askin' ya NOT to do that, but to start a thread of yer own,..??

Well,..... yer Welcome, I did it for ya,....

Thanks brother!

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the back side of the rind, you will see the "nail" is bent into a groove. Pick/bend it srait and then pull it out. I was luk and my hinge pins were well lubed so when I got the nail out, the pins slid out after screwing in a 1/4" 20 screw and pulling them out. I here so have to slide hammer them. I did see one a guy replaced the nails with stainless steel cotter pins. he said his were distroyed during removal and everyone says they are NLA. I guess what ever it takes to keep them in there. I know it is more info than you asked for but I wanted to try help as much as i can and avoid following questions.

alesserfate

Seaman Apprentice

On the back side of the rind, you will see the "nail" is bent into a groove. Pick/bend it srait and then pull it out. I was luk and my hinge pins were well lubed so when I got the nail out, the pins slid out after screwing in a 1/4" 20 screw and pulling them out. I here so have to slide hammer them. I did see one a guy replaced the nails with stainless steel cotter pins. he said his were distroyed during removal and everyone says they are NLA. I guess what ever it takes to keep them in there. I know it is more info than you asked for but I wanted to try help as much as i can and avoid following questions.

thanks for that good info.. helps.. and on the backside of the rind you mean on the back of the bellhousing opposite to where the nail enters from the front ?

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes.The bellhousing is the round part where the bellows attach and the ring is the bracket that the nails are that hold the hinge pins.

alesserfate

Seaman Apprentice

Yes.The bellhousing is the round part where the bellows attach and the ring is the bracket that the nails are that hold the hinge pins.

thanks im gonna go try that now, if it doesnt work im going to try maybe take off the ujoint bellows from the bellhousing side, bend it down and see if i can get my hand/nutdriver in there to get the water hose off of the transom side, whoever decided its a good idea to put it on top of the uj bellows.....

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tell me about it, I just finished my bellows about an hour ago. I can't imagine trying to do them with the bellhousing still attached to the gimbal ring.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

On the back side of the rind, .....

thanks for that good info.. helps.. and on the backside of the rind you mean on the back of the bellhousing opposite to where the nail enters from the front ?

:rofl: I think he means 'ring', gimbal ring..

alesserfate

Seaman Apprentice

I got it all apart thanks to you crazyinkc. One of the coder pins/nails was snapped so was a bit of a trick to get it out but afterwards the hinge pins slid right out with a pair of needle nose. Happy no torch was necessary. My exhaust bellows that I managed to get on earlier in the year without taking the drive off is still in good condition. UJoint bellows and shift boot bellows are still not cracking but I will be replacing both while I'm in there. Yeah I dont think theres a way to get the water hose on to the top fitting without taking the bellhousing off - doesnt seem possible. I wirebrushed the whole thing and sprayed it with some mercruiser primer and paint. There must have been a bucket of muscles that I cleaned out of there. Had to do all this with dozens of beens trying to feed off the muscles everywhere. Will post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again guys.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Darn my fat fingers! Sorry for the typo.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's what your transom assembly will look like once you remove the bellhousing:

DSCF5589_zps4a4d842e.jpg

I have found it much easier to remove the upper hose barb and install the hose onto it - then reinstall the upper hose barb. There is a plate on the inside of the boat that holds / squeezes a rubber fitting around the barb. Remove the plate and rubber bushing and the barb is easily removed and reinstalled.

mikecrof

Cadet

Yeah I dont think theres a way to get the water hose on to the top fitting without taking the bellhousing off - doesnt seem possible.

It is possible, I just did it on mine. I had to get the bell housing free from the hinge pins, but never disconnected any of the other bellows, etc. Long nose hose pliers and long nut driver for the clamp. Biggest problem I had was getting the hose clamp on where the hose attaches to the bell housing. LOTS of patience is the key. I don't know why they didn't put an access hole for the clamp through the side of the bell housing so you could access the clamp that way instead of the bottom. (Like the hole through the gimbal housing to get to the exhaust bellows clamp.)

alesserfate

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help guys crazyinkc, fishermark and mikecrof, despite the heavy rain I managed to get it done under a tarp canopy. The hardest part was I didn't have the bellows puller tool so I had to manage holding the bellows with one hand through the ujoint opening and trying to do up the clamp underneath with a nut driver. Heres so pics of it done and ripping.

20130830_120002.jpg

20130830_192957.jpg