MC-1 Bell Housing hinge pin play

retrovoice

Cadet
I'm in the process of replacing the gimbal bearing, bellows, water hose, and lower shift cable on my 1976 (SN 4444665) MC-1 drive. Boat is an Aristocraft Nineteen. The hinge pins on this model are the pull type, which are held in place by a nail that goes through the midde of the hinge pin.

No problem getting the hinge pins out. In fact, maybe it was too easy? I threaded a 2" long 1/4x28 bolt into the end of the pin, and the starboard pin came out with me just pulling it by hand. The port side took a little more force. I slid a crescent wrench along the bolt, tapping the bolt head to get it to slide out.

After cleaning the bell housing, I checked the fit of the hinge pins. I can't quantify the play, but it's enough to concern me. Short of replacing the bell housing (if they're available), are there any other work arounds to reduce the play?

Is it possible (advisable?) to convert the pull style hinge pins to threaded hinge pins? If so, what would be required?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: MC-1 Bell Housing hinge pin play

If it is worn out then the only real solution is to replace the bell housing. Unless it is causing a large problem, I say put it back together and go boating. A little play is not going to hurt.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Clint would be proud, I have the good, the bad and the Ugly... :LOL:

The good... New bell-housing still available.
The bad.... You can't convert to the threaded hinge pins.
The ugly.... A new bell-housing is over $500. :eek:

Chris.....

cr2k

Captain

Why not pull the housing take it to a machine shop have it bored and bushings put in it?

So many "parts changers" so few true "Mechanics"!

alldodge

Staff member

Why not pull the housing take it to a machine shop have it bored and bushings put in it?

So many "parts changers" so few true "Mechanics"!

My bet is checking cr2k's method put before replacing everything.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

aluminum bushings can be made and installed with a Lok-Tite product for seals.Then the OEM pins are reused.

retrovoice

Cadet

All, thanks for the replies. The play might be in the acceptable range, and I could probably get by with putting the bell-housing back as-is. I'm going to check with some machine shops about installing a bushing, though, as I'd rather have this thing put back together in the best shape possible. Don't want to have to pull a worn bell-housing off in a couple of years.