1985 model 305 ci.GM V8 200hp Mercruiser inboard/outboard.

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice
Going to look at a 85 hurricane with "what the current owner says" is a 1985 model with just serviced 305 ci.GM V8 200hp Mercruiser inboard/outboard. Was wondering what the general concerns are with this boat and motor. Serviceability and reliability. Also when viewing the boat tomorrow what trouble signs should I be looking for along with what positives should I be looking for. Plan on a test drive tomorrow at the lake. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas

cr2k

Captain
Re: 1985 model 305 ci.GM V8 200hp Mercruiser inboard/outboard.

Compression test. Any used boat you buy you will want to do a complete service on; oil change (engine and drive) water pump impeller, tune up, etc. You want to put the drive up and check the bellows for condition, cracks, tears, also check the shift bellows.
Hours mean little. Condition and maintenance are everything. When was the gimbal bearing changed? When were the u-joints serviced?
Any water in the oil? (Milky looking) Run!

Something to keep in mind: The only person who will lie to more than a fisherman (about the one that got away) is someone selling a used boat.

Last edited:

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 model 305 ci.GM V8 200hp Mercruiser inboard/outboard.

Compression test. Any used boat you buy you will want to do a complete service on; oil change (engine and drive) water pump impeller, tune up, etc. You want to put the drive up and check the bellows for condition, cracks, tears, also check the shift bellows.
Hours mean little. Condition and maintenance are everything. When was the gimbal bearing changed? When were the u-joints serviced?
Any water in the oil? (Milky looking) Run!

Something to keep in mind: The only person who will lie to more than a fisherman (about the one that got away) is someone selling a used boat.

Never performed a compression test before. Not sure if this is something I would like to make a first attempt at on someone else's boat. I own a boat now how expensive are the tools to perform this test and what would it be called ? I've been reading up on the test and understand the general concept of and I could prolly practice on my boat prior to the test drive of the boat in question. If I'm not able to perform the appropriate compression tests tomorrow I will before final purchases. Any tell tell sign or symptoms of the motor that could reveal possible flaws in the engine? Thanks for the response