need help with alternator

theblob

Banned
Re: need help with alternator

Whats up.you ever have that battery tested at autozone to make sure it will handle a load,and did you try testing at alternator? That way you will know thiers no other problems?

ok so I got the battery tested and it was bad. fully charged it read 260 cranking amps and it rated at 690 so I got a new one rated at 1000 amps cranking so I should be good. but I didn't test the alternator. I feel theres no need to test the alternator im replacing it anyways?

theblob

Banned

ok so I got the battery tested and it was bad. fully charged it read 260 cranking amps and it rated at 690 so I got a new one rated at 1000 amps cranking so I should be good. but I didn't test the alternator. I feel theres no need to test the alternator im replacing it anyways?
That sucks.the reason i was saying to test at alternator is that way you know nothing else is sucking or grounding the voltage out.this may sound crazy but some new alternators arnt as good as original thats in it.did you get a marine cranking battery? Alot of people will stop boat and play music while swimming,and a cranking battery really isnt suppose to be runned down at all.i went to batterys plus the other day,man they got these marine deepcycle batterys like 18inches long for only 129.00 im thinking about getting one of them,for trolling,but sure will last for times boat is off and using assecessarys.i just hope you end up getting a good alternator,even though new alot of them only good enough to pass the test.

theblob

Banned

Complete rubbish!!!

Im not going to comment about this,dont want another message from moderators saying basicly to follow proper testing,when even though i only have like 160 posts doesnt mean i dont know what to check first.chris you are one of the best on here,so you will have to guide him to wire the alternator,because i dont have a clue.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

and yes any good battery will charge on its own from just sitting with no charge.
That's simply ridiculous.

You must be confused drycell batterys are different then the gel batterys.optima are gel-cell batterys and there junk most wont last a year.gel-cell batterys wont quit charging.they will charge there self untill dead.why pay 250 for gel-cell when it wont last.only good for mounting in different angles.i was talking about drycell batterys.thier the best.
Optima are AGM...not gel.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm sorry phillipconradboard,....

This thread has been drug to the depths of stupidity with Alota False Info,...

If you still need Help, start another thread,...

This 1 is now closed,.....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... as per requested by phillipconradboard, this thread is reopened to allow for the final info for the Cure to the original issue,...

Last edited:

thanks for all the help also I got a new valve cover. now to open a new thread on how to adjust the valves because there maing some noise. also took the boat o0ut Thursday and cought a 29 inch and 5 pound northern on a 4 inch blue gill was quite a suprise