Mercruiser Bravo 3 5.0L MPI Stalling Issue

bengaltiger14

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2005 Searay with 5.0L Bravo 3 MPI. When starting cold and placing the throttle in forward or reverse, the engine will hesistate slightly. It has done this the past 4 times I've taken the boat out. Any ideas?

Also, can you rev this engine while in neutral? If so, how do you do this. Thanks.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser Bravo 3 5.0L MPI Stalling Issue

Also, can you rev this engine while in neutral? If so, how do you do this.

There are a few different types of shifters that can be installed but both of my boats use the center button you push that then allows you to have neutral-only for higher rpm. It's actually recommended that when running your engine on a garden hose to not running it idle but more around 1,000 rpm.

There is a device called an "IAC"-Idle Air Control valve that is known to fail causing this type of issue.
If you go to this site:
Boatinfo - boat brochures and manuals for boats and marine engines!

You can take a look at the Merc. service manual for some more information. I believe for your model it is manual #31.

Mark

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Bravo 3 5.0L MPI Stalling Issue

As Mark mentioned, could be an issue with the IAC valve, and/or the IAC muffler is getting dirty if your engine model has one.

Also you may be due for a full tune up, fuel filter change, and a flame arrestor cleaning as well.

Sounds like the engine runs fine when warm?

Engine serial number?