Hinge pin...

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I've removed these before on other boats, I have the pin tool, used heat and all that fun stuff - never any problems. Now I'm working on a boat (Alpha 1, 5.7L) that was wet slipped... in saltwater.....

:facepalm:

It also hasn't been greased in probably 10 years so the bell housing won't even move without using a crowbar on it. I need to get this all apart, need to change bellows, need to replace gimbal bearing. So I remove the zerks, get as much gunk old grease I could out, sprayed in PB inside it, wire brushed around the head of the pins, sprayed PB all over so basically it was soaking in the stuff overnight. I heated the bellhousing by the pin until the gimbal ring was smoking and went to remove the pin - the pin tool broke.

So I ordered a new removal tool, one that claims it has 150000 PSI strength. Is there anything else I can do to fight the corrosion while I'm waiting for the tool to arrive? Does it sound like it's a lost cause?? I don't want to waste money on a new tool only to break it as well. Picture to follow.... Thanks for any advise.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hinge pin...

Had one like that, had to weld the allen to the pin .

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

try putting some penetrating oil on there and let it sit overnight.

alldodge

Staff member

Had one like that, had to weld the allen to the pin .

BT has a good one, and it works. The heat from welding of the hex key helps break it loose, only issue is (which hasn't happened so far) if the hex key breaks is cut the gimble time

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all for your comments.

I haven't tried the 1/2 hex because the last time I did this on another boat, the pin began to strip however I may dig up the hex wrench and try it again while I'm waiting for my replacement tool.

84EdH - I already had it soaking overnight in PB, now it will be 2 days of soaking so maybe that will help.
BT - I don't have a way to weld to the stainless pins currently, so I guess I'll just try the 1/2 allen, heat it as much as I can with MAP and give it a twist - tried to hit the wrench with a hammer last time too so I'll do that again, I've heard it helps sometimes.

Do you think it would help to put the zerks back in and load it up with grease and get it so the bell housing is able to move up and down freely like it should without prying on it?

Thanks again guys!!

Bondo

Staff member

So I've removed these before on other boats, I have the pin tool, used heat and all that fun stuff - never any problems. Now I'm working on a boat (Alpha 1, 5.7L) that was wet slipped... in saltwater.....

:facepalm:

It also hasn't been greased in probably 10 years so the bell housing won't even move without using a crowbar on it. I need to get this all apart, need to change bellows, need to replace gimbal bearing. So I remove the zerks, get as much gunk old grease I could out, sprayed in PB inside it, wire brushed around the head of the pins, sprayed PB all over so basically it was soaking in the stuff overnight. I heated the bellhousing by the pin until the gimbal ring was smoking and went to remove the pin - the pin tool broke.

So I ordered a new removal tool, one that claims it has 150000 PSI strength. Is there anything else I can do to fight the corrosion while I'm waiting for the tool to arrive? Does it sound like it's a lost cause?? I don't want to waste money on a new tool only to break it as well. Picture to follow.... Thanks for any advise.

Ayuh,.... Pull the motor, then the transom assembly,....

Toss the transom assembly at yer local Scrapper's yard, 'n get yerself the appropriate used Freshwater transom assembly, 'n install it,....

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update:

On the 3rd pin tool, I finally got the pins out lastnight. One pin came right out after heat and the other took about 2 hours and lots of grease, penetrating oil and heat. Last resort would have been to scrap the whole assembly and get another one but my current one is not terrible; aside from the lack of grease there really isn't much corrosion or barnicles on there. Once I get the rest of it apart It's off to be media blasted and back together from there.

All's well that ends well I guess, thanks guys for all your help.

Now, onto the gimbal ring.....