Adjusting valves on 470

saltydogjeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will know more tomorrow. Not really experienced in this area. I opened up the valve cover the other day to take a look at valve adjustment because I was told my compression was off on a compression test on the first cylinder. I personally don't remember what the compression numbers were. I think the compression in the first cylinder was high compared to the other cylinders.

So, I got a compression tester to test the engine compression tomorrow. If I need to do some valve adjustment, how do I adjust these valves? I got my wrench on the rocker arm bolt, but there was no play in it what so ever. I saw some YouTube videos that had an allen wrench location for setting the rocker arm, but nothing of the sort here.

I don't see anywhere else to make an adjustment.

photo.jpg

saltydogjeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Adjusting valves on 470

I'm taking a stab at my own question: it's probably because of the location the engine was during its cycle.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Valve lash on a 470 is set by pushrod length. There is no adjustment.

Torque the rocker arm nut to 20 lbs.ft, while the valves are closed, or possibly bent pushrods may result

Set #1 piston at TDC (firing) and torque the following rocker arm bolts:
#1 - Intake and Exhaust
#2 - Intake
#3 - Exhaust
#4 - Intake

Rotate the crankshaft 360? (One Complete Revolution) and torque:
#2 - Exhaust
#3 - Intake
#4 - Exhaust

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

In a previous thread you complained about some rockers appearing loose. They will have play and even some side to side. As long as your gap is correct when you collapse the lifter when the valve is closed and you have the nut torqued to spec, leave it alone. Mine have play that alarmed me but when the lifters built up pressure they tightened up and the motors are quiet. You need to look at both your transactor plugs. Or at least run the motor and put your finger or dangle a piece of tissue paper over it to see if exhaust is escaping. You may be surprised. I know you are determined that it is in your valve train but mine did the same thing and i went through all that you are doing for it to turn out to be a 2 dollar part and a 15 minute fix. But then again you said your compression is off on 1. Try to find the numbers and post.

Last edited:

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I would think that a high compression number on #1 would mean both valves completely closed. Adjustment might be needed with low compression numbers meaning partially open valve.

Just my thoughts.

Larry

saltydogjeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I redid the compression numbers this weekend. It was not completely accurate because the engine is not running so I couldn't warm it up before. I also only did a dry compression check. The numbers were for 1-4 were 145, 155, 148, and 160. I've traced the running engine problem to a weak spark. I went ahead and ordered the ignitor flamethrower II to solve this issue. That is another issue, though.