3.0 Liter Mercruiser drive belt broke- Thank you UTUBE Guy !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
If you need to replace your drive belt on a 3.0 in line 4 Merc.. mine measured 3/8 x40 V belt... here's the story, here's the fix..

Out on a NYS Finger Lake today fishing and enjoying the day, was having problems keeping my belt tight,, squeeking,, keeps slipping,, anyway,, was out on a NYS Finger Lake, at 33mph at 4600 RPM, began smelling something hot... looked down at my temp guage,, bout 175 and climbing... slowed down, shut her down and opened the dog house, sure enough the belt broke.. I was in the middle of the lake about 3 miles from launch. naturally........... these things dont break close to the launch do they??,, not about to paddle my 19.6 cuddy back, started her up and kept it at 2000 rpm, temp down to 160 and stayed there,, I limped home back to the launch... I had previously looked at a UTUBE clip, a guy replacing the drive belt, he quoted an Auto Zone part # 13400.... I went down to my local store, and was handed part # 15400 3/8 x 40 V belt,, has cogs but is a V... Cost me $8.. replaced it on the motor in about 10 mins...fit perfectly, engine ran smooth,, charging nicely... Thank you UTUBE guy!!

Again, its a Duralast V Belt part #15400 (old part # 13400),, 40 inches... fits the 3.0 very well... pass it on..

Fish on!!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3.0 Liter Mercruiser drive belt broke- Thank you UTUBE Guy !!

yes.. motor pully,, to pump to alternator,,

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
3.0 liter merc,,,what's normal output for alternator??

3.0 liter merc,,,what's normal output for alternator??

I just replaced my alternator belt, guage showing charging between 13-15 volts,,, what's the normal range??

Did you buy Two?? and now going to keep one in the boat's tool box? ;)

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Eric,, hell yes!! gonna pick up another one tomorrow,, wanted to make sure the one I got fit correctly,, it did,,,,

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.0 liter merc,,,what's normal output for alternator??

Ayuh,.... 13.6v is 'bout Ideal,...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

k,, my engine drive belt---> alternator broke today,,,I limped back to the dock several miles without charging system and proper cooling systems,,, when I realized by engine was over heating when I could smell something hot,,, looked under the dog house and saw the belt broke,, I kept engine down to 2K rpm and kept her at 160-170 degrees,, and crawled home,,, got home and replaced the belt,,,tightened it up, put ears on and started it, noticed charging system was outputting a bit more than before....engine ran strong and smooth... glad I could smell that heat!! was tearing across the lake at 33 in my 19.6 cuddy when it broke.... no damage,, all is good,,,

alldodge

Staff member

Glad you got a pass on bad luck and some good luck, may be time to buy a lottery ticket :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

On the 3 litre engines, because of the arrangement of the front mount, you might want to fit the new belt into position around the mounts, then cable tie it back out of the way. That way, should you need to fit it out on the water you won't be trying to remove the mount spacer to get the new belt in... Just a thought... ;)

Chris.....

airshot

Rear Admiral

It pays to watch your gages, my belt broke last year but saw the alternator gage go to O so I knew it right away. If you do not have one it may be a good/cheap investment. Always keep a spare atatched to your engine just for such emergencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.