Easy replacement of Alpha I trim switches without removing bellows

xcsx

Recruit
Hi guys, first post. I've taken a ton of great information on here so thought I'd give back. This was done on my 1992 Alpha One Gen II outdrive.

I just wanted to add to the closed thread "Easy replacement of Alpha I trim limit switch" http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/easy-replacement-alpha-i-trim-limit-switch-202205.html

I was able to change the switches in under an hour without removing the bellows.

First, I did have my outdrive removed, as well as the bell housing loose by removing the hinge pins.

Getting to the 7/16" (though an 11mm socket was a better fit on mine) bracket bolt under the gimbal ring is very tough with a standard extension. As suggested in the previous thread, the wobble extension from Lowes, 6in 1/4" drive, current Item #: 337357 | Model #: 85838 was the key to removing the bracket bolt. It gives just enough angle to sit the socket on the bolt head. Shop Kobalt 1/4-in Drive Wobble 6-in Socket Extension at Lowes.com

Once removed, I disconnected the wire barrel connectors in the boat, electrical taped weed wacker line to the wires, and pulled them through from the back. The grommets are held in place on the wires and pull right out.

Getting the new wires through the hole requires a little effort. First, it really helped to electrical tape the wires together behind the grommets. This will help keep the grommets together and keep the port and starboard switches on the correct sides of the boat. Do not tape in front of the grommets as this is where the bracket sits. Put the bracket on the wires and try to keep it straight as you feed it through. If you have help, a second person can pull on the wires in the boat while you finagle the grommets with a long screw driver.

Here's where I got caught up. Even with the wobble extension, it is nearly impossible to get the correct angle on the bolt to start the thread. Trying to force it on could strip the threads in the hole and then you'll really be in trouble. What I ended up doing is scrapping the hex head bolt idea all together. I went back to Lowe's and picked up a stainless steel 3/4" 1/4-20 thread pitch allen head bolt. With an allen bolt, you can use a long ball head allen socket to get a much greater angle on the bolt, with a much thinner tool (a 3/16" allen fits this bolt head). It went right on. Connect your sensors as per the manual, reconnect your wires in the boat, adjust the trim sensors, and you're done.

Hope this helps.

- Chris

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Easy replacement of Alpha I trim switches without removing bellows

Pretty cool thnking with the allen head, I hope an old guy like me will remember.

Thanks for the update

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice

Moderator, this needs to be "Stickied", under Adults Only section

NHGuy

Captain

Been dreading that job and waiting for the next bellows job to do it! Of course Chris has some ingenious workaround.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Easiest way to get the bolt in and out is with a 'special tool' :D :D ;)....

Don't need to muck around with allen screws or anything like that...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Spanner.jpg
    Spanner.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 4

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Easiest way to get the bolt in and out is with a 'special tool' :D :D ;)....

Don't need to muck around with allen screws or anything like that...

attachment.php

Hmmm...those look like torch tracks on that wrench! Or is that some sort of 'special' hardening process of the achris tool and die company?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hmmm...those look like torch tracks on that wrench! Or is that some sort of 'special' hardening process of the achris tool and die company?

Ya got me... Just a bog standard 3/8"-7/16" ring spanner that got close to the CIG toolkit (hot spanner, aka gas torch)... :D

Chris.....