Mercruiser 120 Fuel Water Seperator and fuel pump suggestions

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice
Will be installing a fuel water Seperator on my mercruiser 120 which did not come stock on my setup. My question is what type brand or style filtration system should I be looking for on my system.

Further more I found a lot of gunk in my fuel filter inside my fuel pump. Pictures and be seen at the following link Mercruiser bogging?/ 622113

Local boat shop wants $370 to replace the pump with an alternate pump as suggested under my part number the following link show my current setup along with my current pump. Marine Parts Plus Mercruiser Serial 120 GM 153 I-L4 1983-1986 41261 963-110

Replacement suggestions or clean up suggestions of current pump is my question. Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 120 Fuel Water Seperator and fuel pump suggestions

Will be installing a fuel water Seperator on my mercruiser 120 which did not come stock on my setup. My question is what type brand or style filtration system should I be looking for on my system.

Further more I found a lot of gunk in my fuel filter inside my fuel pump. Pictures and be seen at the following link Mercruiser bogging*/ 622113

Local boat shop wants $370 to replace the pump with an alternate pump as suggested under my part number the following link show my current setup along with my current pump. Marine Parts Plus Mercruiser Serial 120 GM 153 I-L4 1983-1986 41261 963-110

Replacement suggestions or clean up suggestions of current pump is my question. Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,... Click on Chris's links, do it Yerself, 'n keep 'bout 1/2 of Yer money,.....

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice

I am for sure doing it myself. Just wanted to make sure of the parts purchase before making any moves. Appreciate the links.. As far as testing my current pump how should I go about doing it with no fuel pressure gauge attached to my factory fuel intake system ?

PoppasWellcraft

Recruit

I bought a pump in Fla shipped for 150.00...2 bolts, one gasket, two fittings and its changed! As for the fuel/water filter...go to Wally World (Wal-Mart...for $28.00) same kit!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Airtex 60032 - Mechanical Fuel Pump | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Also found this fuel pump for less than $100 bucks if mine fails tomorrow after installing the new filters and fuel/water Seperator.
I couldn't get your link to work directly to a specific part. Make sure that this is a marine type fuel pump. Older auto fuel pumps had a single diaphragm that when holed/worn out squirts fuel out of the top. OK if it's in a car, not so good if it's in a boat. Marine pumps for these engines have a clear sight tube that directs leaking fuel directly into the carburetor instead of pumping it into the bilge. - Grandad

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this place has CHEAP parts, fast shipping: Home page | Seabound Supply

this is where I bought my pump....half the price compared to everyone else

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice

I couldn't get your link to work directly to a specific part. Make sure that this is a marine type fuel pump. Older auto fuel pumps had a single diaphragm that when holed/worn out squirts fuel out of the top. OK if it's in a car, not so good if it's in a boat. Marine pumps for these engines have a clear sight tube that directs leaking fuel directly into the carburetor instead of pumping it into the bilge. - Grandad

Yea they are for sure marine rated. You can go to their website and enter the part numbers to check them out. Have not purchased the fuel pump yet.