Engine temp issue

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Engine temp issue

I defied gravity once. Then it grabbed me even harder and slammed me back to earth.
But seriously, if you remove the drains below the exhaust manifolds, remove the 2 petcocks in the block, and probe the 4 of them with a coat hanger or something, then all that's left is the water circulation pump hose. I also pull off the power steering cooler water line just in case.
The problem with anti freeze is it can be diluted by residual water and not have enough freeze resistance in spots. Don't chance it.

happy0030.gif

agallant80

Commander

No Joy. I installed the proper gasket and I am still not getting a proper temp reading. Could I have destroyed the temp sensor sucking sand in to the system?

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the ecu is involved with the temp sensor on a 2013 model? I have a feeling it is.

Bayliner.com doesn't have the 2013 manuals online to reference.

The only reason why i ask is you said the motor felt sluggish the other day. I just wonder if its adjusting fuel maps and other stuff based on temperature.

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant

No. That would take a LOT of sand. Pull the sending unit and test for proper resistance at various temperatures. It is connected securely correct?

achris

I would take the lead off the end of the sender and touch it to the sender body. The gauge should peg at full HOT...

Outcomes...

1. Gauge does peg full HOT. Sender faulty.
2. Gauge stays full COLD. Touch wire to a bare part of the thermostat housing. If gauge pegs full HOT now, you have a ground problem with the sender. Did you use thread tape when installing it? If so, remove it. If the gauge still stays COLD,
3. Touch sender wire to a bare section of the engine block itself. Gauge goes full HOT. You still have a ground problem to the thermostat housing. Gauge stays COLD, suspect the gauge or the wiring to it.

Chris......

agallant80

Commander

Update: went to the lake today temp gauge would not move pulled the thermostat and it was stuck open again. Apparently I have a lot of crud in my system from when I ran aground a few weeks ago and had the brilliant idea of full throttle to get off the sand bar sucking in sand sea shell pieces etc. So now I have to flush the system.

Idea 1: remove thermostat reinstall housing blast around the lake for a bit and hope it removes the crud

Idea 2: hook up each of the 4 hoses that go to the thermostat housing to the garden hose and turn it on.

I'm open to sudgestions

Typos provided by Galaxy S2

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would open/disconnect and back flush everything I could with the hose. Idea 1 will fill the manifolds and risers with crud and you will have even more problems down the road.

agallant80

Commander

So what do I do? Remove the drain plugs from the bottom of the block and stick the garden hose where the thermostat goes?

achris

So what do I do? Remove the drain plugs from the bottom of the block and stick the garden hose where the thermostat goes?

That sounds like a good idea... Just remove the plugs from the manifolds too. ;)

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it was my boat I would even get into the impeller and backflush the raw water hose intake too.

Everyone runs aground. Those that say they haven't are going too or lying. Welcome to the club. : )
I lost a loving caring defenseless prop to it recently.

Last edited:

achris

Then you'll have to disconnect the hoses at bottom. And don't forget to remove the big hose off the water pump. Lots of rubbish can sit in the bottom of that. Do toy have that silly 'single point drain' system? If so, pull all the hoses off that too....

agallant80

Commander

Hi Folks,

I am a bit confused on how to flush the motor. Can someone help me understand what to do?

1. Pull hose from sterndrive to raw water pump and flush
2. Pull hose from raw water pump to on block pump and flush
3. remove thermistat housing and flush 4 hoses that connect to it
4. remove thermistat, stick hose in block and flush block (remove blue plastic drains)

I have included a photo of the exact motor I have. Any advice would be helpfull. The thermostat keeps getting stuck open due to crud in the system getting stuck in it.

5.0mpi.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is an older diagram, but may help. Have you flushed the fuel cooler?

attachment.php

Attachments

• SBC Cooling System.JPG
    SBC Cooling System.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner

I guess the same applies to both the power steering and fuel cooler(s) if equipped.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

I guess the same applies to both the power steering and fuel cooler(s) if equipped.

If your motor is 2013, I am mystified at the amount of rust accumulated to clog up everything. Motor looks like 350 Chevy but I could be fooled. They all have particles and sand for sure due to use, but so much to constantly clog stat seems perplexing to me. Regardless, pull cooler hoses and flush. Pull stat housing and water (circulating pump) and then stick hose directly into intake manifold stat housing and examine water going out of 2 water pump holes. You should be able to see into block cavity and tell how badly rusted. 2013???????? Good luck! You got a job ahead of you!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Why do you think rust? Rust has never been mentioned here by the OP. Just junk.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Why do you think rust? Rust has never been mentioned here by the OP. Just junk.

Rust or crud or sand? I can't in my wildest imagination see how running a-ground would pump so much crap into cooling system as to clog stat beyound normal running to clear stuff, unless you were really forcing OD through it. . I have grounded my boat(s) too and slightly raised drive and got off bar. But, the way I and others suggested will get crap out, regardless of foreign materials trapped. If it will not, you have a big piece of metal or rust that has broken off and wedged somewhere. Although, I doubt it! I am more inclined to believe that it is electrical or bad stat/ground. There is another posibility that OD impeller has spun off spline or worn out due to sand. Imagine sand in your eyes! With muffs attached, you are somewhat forcing water into motor and a bad impeller may be reacting erratically! Also, have you checked gimbal house water hose to be sure it is still connected via hose clamps??? Just a thought! They do come loose. Good luck!!!!!!