1978 mercruiser 228 exhaust

chris650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, new to the forum. A month ago I purchased a 1978 century 5000 with a mercruiser 228. After doing some general maintenance , I took her out for a test drive last week. Ran good, but noticed that my transom was getting wet. From what I seen, the only place it could be coming from is the starboard side upper bellow. Does anyone have any info on changing one,and are these known to go bad? It looks like the elbow might have to come off. Also, there is an intermittent clicking sound coming from that general area, only at idle. Am wondering if it could be a water shutter?? If so, are they changeable on my engine without having to pull the engine? And any diagrams would be very helpful...the Clymer manual I picked up is sub-standard in my opinion. Thx!

cr2k

Captain
Re: 1978 mercruiser 228 exhaust

Yes you need to pull the elbow to get that. You will also need to change both boots. When an engine is run without water besides the impeller the hot (no water to cool) exhaust burns the boots from the inside. Make sure you replace the gaskets with the same ones that come off. They are different for different set ups.