Mercruiser 5.7 with Bravo three having problems going into gear

TeamPCBeach

Seaman
When advancing the throttle forward it will not go into gear until I hit about 1500 RPM. Every now and then it doesn't go into gear at all and I have to come back to neutral. No issues in reverse. Any suggestions for what to look at would be appreciated. Thanks.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser 5.7 with Bravo three having problems going into gear

Seems to me like your shift cable is a bit out of adjustment or worn and needs to be replaced.

The year in you signature indicates it could either be a model 1998 which service manual 11 covers:
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 11 - 1988-1998 - Sterndrives Bravo Drives

Or a 1999 which service manual 28 came out for but I believe basically the same for what you are looking for:
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 28 - 1999-2006 - Bravo One, Two, Three & XZ/XR Sterndrives

Check out section 2a for remote shift cable information along with a troubleshooting chart and section 4a for installation of the lower shift cable.

Mark

achris

More fish than mountain goat

When advancing the throttle forward it will not go into gear until I hit about 1500 RPM. Every now and then it doesn't go into gear at all and I have to come back to neutral. No issues in reverse. Any suggestions for what to look at would be appreciated. Thanks.

As 1998 was a 'crossover' year for these drives, could we have the serial number of the drive so we can advise more accurately... Thanks.

Chris.....

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

As 1998 was a 'crossover' year for these drives, could we have the serial number of the drive so we can advise more accurately... Thanks.

Chris.....

Drive: OL413812 , Engine: OL346626

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

Have a look at this thread to see if it helps with any ideas. http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ly-not-engaging-forward-gear-help-617014.html

Also it sounds like you may want to drain the drive oil to see if you see any foreign materials in the oil along with checking the magnetic drain plug for excessive metal shavings.

Good luck.:)

From that thread it looked like he had a lower unit oil issue. I think I am going to try the adjustment first. We had 50 hour service done on the boat in February so the lower unit oil should be good. Thanks for the information, of the adjustment doesn't work I will have a look at the lower unit oil.