smoking engine while warming up

jran

Seaman Apprentice
I noticed the other day that while on vacation with my boat it was smoking oil while warming up.. it felt like it was loaded up or something.After a few minutes after driving around it stops.....could this be fixed easily or could it be a big problem?? All replies welcome ......:)

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: smoking engine while warming up

Boat and engine details? Totally normal for a 2 stroke to smoke cold, but this is in I/O so I'm guessing that's not it

jran

Seaman Apprentice

Boat and engine details? Totally normal for a 2 stroke to smoke cold, but this is in I/O so I'm guessing that's not it

.......Sorry about lack of info...i'm still new to this.......I have a 1989 (rebuilt last season) 3.0 mercruiser on a 17' sea ray...engine runs fantastic when warmed up.....just worried about 3 to 4 minutes of oil burning smoke when starting engine up first time of the day.....

jran

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about lack of info.......I have a 1989 3.0 ....135 hp (rebuilt last season)mercruiser with a alpha 1 drive on a 17' sea ray boat and it runs great....I just have concerns when starting up boat for the first time of the day it has oil burning smoke for about 3 to 4 minutes . Is this something bad or just let it go.....

Sorry about lack of info.......I have a 1989 3.0 ....135 hp (rebuilt last season)mercruiser with a alpha 1 drive on a 17' sea ray boat and it runs great....I just have concerns when starting up boat for the first time of the day it has oil burning smoke for about 3 to 4 minutes . Is this something bad or just let it go.....

Most likely the valve seals / guides are worn, allowing oil to drip into the cylinders when engine is stopped. Not critical, but it will get worse :(
Was the head "rebuilt"?