Mercury 3.0 TKS Where is the sensor for the temperature gauge?

rnorman3

Seaman
I got a temperature warning via the buzzer...but the gauge showed 175F - normal. I found the sensor for the buzzer warning, but can't find where the gauge sensor is? I'm wondering why the buzzer would go off and the gauge show normal.
Thanks!

rnorman3

Seaman
Re: Mercury 3.0 TKS Where is the sensor for the temperature gauge?

Hey guys, any comments on this? I think I found the sensor for the gauge, it's right next to the buzzer sensor. Maybe a bad buzzer sensor? At what temperature should the buzzer go off?
Thanks!

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, It seems you have accidentally posted you're question in the wrong forum section once again, so this may be one of the reasons you are having a delay on getting some type of response. Since this is the Mercury outboard forum, You're thread will probably be moved down a few pages out on the home page to the Mercruiser forum shortly.

As for what temp should the horn sound? Depends on what switch you have. If the switch has Red Mylar Sleeve then it should sound somewhere between 190-200?F. 196? seems familiar to me though.

And if the switch has a Black Mylar Sleeve then it should be between 215-225?F.

Since I was able to find some back info you previously posted, You're engine serial number is 2A035658 so your temp switch warning horn should go off somewhere around 196?. Mercruiser part number 48952.

The warning horn should have a Tan/Blue wire going to it while the engine water temperature sender for the gauge should have a Tan wire going to it. The temperature sender mounts to the lower side of the thermostat housing.

Now keep in mind that there is also a oil pressure switch and there could be a drive unit gear lube monitor as well, both hooked to a Tan/Blue wire as part of the audio warning components/system.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=804862003

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum/site_files/manuals/mercruiser/26.pdf

rnorman3

Seaman

Thanks fun times, sorry for posting in the wrong spot...again. I see someone has moved the thread already, next time I'll know. I have the red sleeve, picture attached. Thanks, I already replaced the thermostat just in case. Next time I go out however, I'll bring the laser temperature gauge I have and check the temp around that area. My guess is the sensor might be off, since the gauge was still reading 175F, and they're right next to each other...
DSC03693_small.jpg